Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Laptop to Analogue TV

Options
  • 10-11-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey,

Searched all over for a solution but cant find one to suit my needs!

I have a laptop, that has vga, hdmi, sata, usb out. I want to connect it to an analogue TV, which only has scart, usb,rca in.

I know there is an option with a convertor box, but as im a student thats far too expensive. Just want something so can watch matches on tv, instead of laptop!

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

VGA to SCART cables do exist but I have no idea where you would go about picking one up. Your best bet would be to have a look online and see what you can find.

Amazon seems to have some converters for about £10. No idea if they will be any good but worth a try I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 panoodles

djimi wrote: »
    VGA to SCART cables do exist but I have no idea where you would go about picking one up. Your best bet would be to have a look online and see what you can find.

Amazon seems to have some converters for about £10. No idea if they will be any good but worth a try I guess?

djimi,

I read about the vga to scart cable, seen them on e-bay, but people are saying they will only work for transmitting from a tv to a dvd player etc. Not for sending in signal.

Im not too sure though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

lots of solutions but none of them work properly unless your laptop has a S-Video port. Quality would be atrocious as well.
    Best option is to get a digital TV

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

You'll need two cables to make it work: one for video, and one for sound. So here goes...

1. Use the VGA output and get an adapter which will have a (yellow) phono connector
    (like this)
    vga-rca-sv-adapter.jpg

2. get a 3.5mm headphone jack to left-right phonos
    (like this)
    sound.jpg

pics and links to a similar thread on another website

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

areyawell wrote: »
    lots of solutions but none of them work properly unless your laptop has a S-Video port. Quality would be atrocious as well.
    Best option is to get a digital TV

areyawell,

ya was reading a lot saying get a digital tv. Cant afford one at the moment so guess will ahve to watch them on laptop!

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    You'll need two cables to make it work: one for video, and one for sound. So here goes...

1. Use the VGA output and get an adapter which will have a (yellow) phono connector
    (like this)

2. get a 3.5mm headphone jack to left-right phonos
    (like this)

pics and links to a similar thread on another website

Astrofluff,

My analogue tv doesn seem to have an s-video input, so dont think this option will work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ignore the s-video connection on the picture, it's the yellow phono connector which should output the video signal you need. If you have any mates who are technical they'll probably have one of the VGA adapters lying around - they came with some dell laptops FOC many years ago.

here's the general set up I would envisage for your scenario:

VGA
    Yellow phono----TV Phono yellow

..................../----Red Phono
    TV Red Phono
    Headphone--<
    ....................\----White Phono---TV White Phono

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically speaking PAL TV's here are 25i as in 25Hz interlaced.

VGA output is normally 60Hz or higher , non interlaced.

So unless the particular video card in the laptop supports TV resolutions it ain't going to happen.

The cables listed above could only work for very specific video cards that put a non-standard output on some of the VGA pins.

You can buy a cable that has VGA (analog signal) at one end and HDMI (digital signal) at the other. It just isn't going to work.

yes it's possible to wire RGB into SCART but then still have the problem of frequency http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/ if you are handy with a soldering iron , don't mind risking frying the TV and/or the graphics chip on the laptop PAL is specified to be 768x576

more info here on the subtleties of VGA to SCART
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The VGA to RCA adaptors are for US style Progressive or HDTVs. There is no way to feed VGA to a Standard definition Interlaced PAL, Secam or NTSC set without an electronic adaptor box. It can sort of be done with some older cards in DOS, Win 3.1 or Linux using special software drivers but resolution is only 240 to 288 lines!

I have adapted VGA to SCART and done a Driver for DOS. I also have Win3.1 driver that only works for 100% compatible VGA (640 x 480) graphics cards.

You can pretty much forget it on NT/win2K/XP/Vista/Win7 and on Linux you'd need a custom desktop.

Quality is abysmal.

Some Laptops have a separate PAL or NTSC Composite and or Y/C out mode which only works on certain graphics resolutions and drivers. Usually it's a separate connector that needs a specific adaptor cable. Some Laptops may use "spare" pins on the VGA connector.

The TV out is pretty ghastly for PAL as the "video" of say a DVD or DVB-T stick is de-interlaced and frame rate converted and resampled to the Laptop screen resolution at 60 fps progressive. The VGA to PAL chip frame rate converts to 25 fps interlaced 50 Hz and about 720 x 576 resolution. Any horizontal motion shimmers and blurs. Motion is soft.

Any €30 DVD player or €60 Satellite box feeding a 20 year old CRT based TV is FAR better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭zg3409

An adapter box like this should work:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VGA-HD-15-Pin-to-Video-AV-TV-S-Video-VGA-Box-Conversion-Converter-Adapter-PC-Mac-/250960785645?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3a6e6db0ed

You say your TV has RCA in.

You would also need a headphone to RCA lead to transfer the sound. Connect headphone out from the laptop to the red or white audio connector on the TV and select AV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement