Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More changes at Radio 1- Vernon Kay & Reggie Yates leave

Options
  • 10-11-2012 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

In further schedule changes at the station, Vernon Kay has left his Saturday morning show while Reggie Yates has vacated his position as host of The Official Chart on Sunday evenings.

Ex-T4 presenter Jameela Jamil will become the first solo host of the chart from January while Matt Edmondson will begin presenting the 10-1 slot on Saturday and Sunday mornings due to Sara Cox covering Fearne Cotton on weekdays during the latter's maternity leave. Furthermore Tom Deacon will begin presenting a show on Wednesday evenings from 9-10pm and YouTube sensations Dan and Phil will replace Jameela as hosts of the Request Show on Sunday evenings between 7 and 9pm.

Thoughts?

More signs of Ben Cooper trying to lower the average age of the listeners by bringing in young presenters. IMO, he is ruining the station. I love Matt Edmondson but after Tom Deacon's truly awful Sunday night show, I can't understand how he is back on the station. Jameela has only arrived at the station and obviously isn't a natural on the radio. I am glad to see the back of Vernon but it is sad that older presenters are being pushed out.

I am in the lower part of Radio 1's target demographic and my favourite presenters are Scott Mills and Sara Cox yet Cooper persists with his delusion that the listeners want young presenters who are incompetent of presenting an entertaining show. Cooper made an absolute howler in swapping Greg James and Scott and most listeners are now missing Mills on drivetime. I know Vernon and Reggie left of their own accord but shouldn't Cooper be looking to commercial radio and the Student Radio Awards for fresh, new talent instead of unsuited TV presenters. Times are certainly changing dramatically....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I heard Vernon this morning mention how he was going to enjoy a gig more because he wasn't doing the radio show anymore. Didn't realise he was leaving though.

Were they told to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

_feedback_ wrote: »
    I heard Vernon this morning mention how he was going to enjoy a gig more because he wasn't doing the radio show anymore. Didn't realise he was leaving though.

Were they told to go?

Vernon has said that he wants to spend more time with his daughters in their most important school years so leaving his weekend show will allow him to do that. I think that he was given a push in that direction though...

As for Reggie, it has been no secret that he favours TV and with The Voice, he will be focussing on TV work now. He suits the demographic perfectly so I imagine it was his decision although I thought he was starting to do really well on the chart in the last few months but I suppose he felt it was time for him to move on. He has been at Radio 1/ 1XTRA for nearly 10 years after all.
    If I was Ben Cooper, I'd give Greg James the job of doing the chart ,seeing as he already does the Chart Update, and have Sara Cox or Danny Howard do Drivetime on a Friday.

Advertisement