Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EU Tyre Label

Options
  • 10-11-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello,

The tyres on my Car are due to be replaced. I have been doing some research on the Internet in regard to what to get. The new EU tyre label is excellent as you can see at a glance which are good and which are not so good. The new label gives an A-G rating for Fuel (Rolling Resistance), Wet Grip, it also gives the noise level of the tyre.

I have always bought premium brand tyres, but on this occasion I am on a very tight budget and am considering a budget tyre.

I found a tyre on www.eiretyres.com, Star Performer UHP 195/55 R16, has anybody used these tyres? What is your opinion/experience?

Previously I wouldn't have purchased a Chinese tyre due to the negative comments about them on the internet, but some of the budget tyres have the same ratings as expensive premium brands & some of these brands are twice the price. I did a bit of research, the Star Performer is manufactured at the Nankang tyre factory in China.

I will admit that the Star Performer tyre has a poor Fuel/Rolling Resistance score (F), but grip is more important to me and in that regard it does well a B score.

Let me know your thoughts & opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You'd have better chance of advice on the Motoring forum TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 slk235

Ok thanks for that, sorry I am new to Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dredg

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

That site rates damn near everything and helpfully sorts the brands into price categories. Pick the best one you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

slk235 wrote: »
    I did a bit of research, the Star Performer is manufactured at the Nankang tyre factory in China.
    If you read anything good here about Nankang tyres, it will be a rare event!

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I bought star performer before,****e,they wear very quickly and very bad grip in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

These codes are 'self-assessed', they're not like the Energy Efficiency labels on white goods, where it's done scientifically and there is some basis for making comparisons.

Buy something from a reputable brand, like Michelin, Pirelli, Firestone, Vredestein, Continental, Bridgestone etc, nothing Chinese or Korean or a brand that nobody has heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tonneman72

These codes are 'self-assessed', they're not like the Energy Efficiency labels on white goods, where it's done scientifically and there is some basis for making comparisons.

Buy something from a reputable brand, like Michelin, Pirelli, Firestone, Vredestein, Continental, Bridgestone etc, nothing Chinese or Korean or a brand that nobody has heard of.
    I am a mechanic myself and this is the advice I give to all my customers and I dont sell tyres.
    Cheap and cheerful tyres wear uneven and fast, poor grip, and high road noise.
    The reputable brands are cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not class everything from the likes of Korea as being rubbish. Hankook and Kumho are Korean brands and make some very good mid range tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tonneman72

bazz26 wrote: »
    I would not class everything from the likes of Korea as being rubbish. Hankook and Kumho are Korean brands and make some very good mid range tyres.

Yes sorry was a bit hasty, kumho and hankook are reputable brands with kumho appearing on some new model volkswagens.
    I actually have kumho on my car and fine them great value and a good all rounder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Kumhos for me all day. Unless you want to spend a bit more for Bridgestone or Michelin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

As has been said, the tyre ratings for the labels are set by the tyre manufacturer them selves, as was the case with the previous E marks as no label will convince me, or anyone with any driving experience, that the cheap Chinese tyres have the same grip levels the good quality brands.

The ratings are a bit of a sham IMO anyway since the same size tyre will perform differently on different cars. I would also rate grip in various conditions much higher then road noise and fuel economy, both of which will be effected by much more then the tyre its self.

Even the wet weather rating is solely based on a straight ahead emergency stop. Its lateral grip that will have much more effect on car control if your cornering or swerving etc.

Thanks to all for your advice

As has been said, the tyre ratings for the labels are set by the tyre manufacturer them selves, as was the case with the previous E marks as no label will convince me, or anyone with any driving experience, that the cheap Chinese tyres have the same grip levels the good quality brands.

The ratings are a bit of a sham IMO anyway since the same size tyre will perform differently on different cars. I would also rate grip in various conditions much higher then road noise and fuel economy, both of which will be effected by much more then the tyre its self.

Even the wet weather rating is solely based on a straight ahead emergency stop. Its lateral grip that will have much more effect on car control if your cornering or swerving etc.

Thanks for that Information Nissan Doctor, ironically enough my car is a 2005 Nissan Almera 3 door Hatchback, which I bought in March. Current mileage 91,00 Km.

I didn't realise that the tyre manufactures set the ratings themselves! In that case not sure you can rely on the label. The criteria for the label is very limited and you made a very valid point in relation to the wet rating i.e. just a straight ahead emergency stop. Again you made a valid point in relation to lateral grip, I believe the side wall strength varies between the various brands therefore effecting sidewall deflection during cornering.

I think I am just a bit unlucky as a lot of work is due at the same time, tyres, its due a full service, I took the wheels off recently and the pads look like they are approaching minimum, also the discs look borderline, there is a bit of a lip so I am not sure if I will get away with just new pads. Also needs new headlights. The headlights on dip beam are appalling. I can hardly see, like driving with candles. I have been checking the internet & here on Boards.ie and it appears to be an issue with this model Almera. Anyway I have been on ebay and I can get a pair of aftermarket headlights from UK for €120, well they can't be any worse than the original manufactures headlights!

I thought with my luck, all I need now is for the timing chain to go/stretch soon, as I have found since I got the car that there are issues with the timing chains on this model also. I lifted the bonnet and checked, it looks like it has already been changed, as there is that tell tell grey putty on the casing.

On the plus side the car has surprised me, someone told me when I was buying it that they are heavy on petrol, but I have not found this to be the case, mine is returning between 7.8 L/100km (36mpg) - 7 Ll/100km (40mpg), not bad for an old car.

Advertisement