Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent car 3 weeks at Xmas

Options
  • 10-11-2012 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm working abroad and planning a long Xmas break at home with family. Flights are booked and I've now started looking at car rental, which is >€1000 for the 18 days!!

Does anybody know of a cheaper option ? (Walking not an option).

Thanks, minnow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

in all seriousness, buy a bangernomics car for a few hundred (check the thread in motors) and insure it for a month, all in itll be less than 500 id say...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Just checked on http://www.enterprise.ie/car_rental/home.do, seems a fair bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I have rented of car dealers in the past quiet cheaply. It was always from someone that knew me so not sure if they will rent to anyone. You will need your own insurance which you can buy online.
    Failing that have you tried http://www.novacarhire.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I've just rented a Daihatsu 1ltr for a week from Liam Cleary - €20 per day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It might be worth your while asking in the Motors forum as well, although their mod is a Clare person so might see this thread :)

I would say that buying a car for a few weeks would be a lot of hassle with getting insurance and everything sorted, anyone I've ever heard of renting locally always went to Liam Cleary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

MarkR wrote: »
    Just checked on http://www.enterprise.ie/car_rental/home.do, seems a fair bit cheaper.

Used them a lot in the past when i didnt have a car.
    Lucky enough to have a pick up point walking distance away from home.
    Had cars for as little as €13 a day (Astra and similar) over the Christmas periods.

See they are now around 20 a day but i am pretty sure it will come down a fair bit still.

Just dont take that extra insurance cause that will basically double the price. Keep it on the basic one if you trust your own driving.

One i did in 2009:

Car and Rate Information:
    Class C/Small Compact
    Opel Astra or similar
    194.31 EUR (17 Days @ 11.43)

194.31 EUR (Subtotal)

26.23 EUR (VAT)

Total charges 220.54 EUR

Ended up keeping it for 54 days for the same price. Then i realised it was time to buy a car :D

I know it is 3 years ago but it really pays to check their website regularly and dont pick the airport as a pick up point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Clareman wrote: »
    It might be worth your while asking in the Motors forum as well, although their mod is a Clare person so might see this thread :)

I would say that buying a car for a few weeks would be a lot of hassle with getting insurance and everything sorted, anyone I've ever heard of renting locally always went to Liam Cleary

Its was Liam's brother I used rent from!

Advertisement