Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail and Republicanism

Options
  • 10-11-2012 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm just wondering, in a broad sense, is their much focus on Republicanism in Fianna Fail?

Maybe in terms of education on the history of Republicanism, the ideas of the figure heads, commemorations of republicans.

I'm not soully asking about how Fianna Fail act as a party, but rather on a grassroots, personal level, is there much of a sense of Republicanism among members?

e.g. Eamonn O'Cuiv reaching out to the political prisoners in the North.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I think its more of a tradition. The amount of bad conversations I've had to endure up round the borderlands (Where Fianna Fáil are still seen as a viable alternative to Sinn Féin for many soft Republicans) is testament to this. These people hate Fine Gael because they see them as Protestant and wealthy. They hate Labour because they see them as urban and 'fancy'. Where else is there to turn to. Republicanism in Irish politics is mostly invention anyway, and Fianna Fáil really are great at the meaningless pious platitudes. Unfortunately many Irish people are easily swayed by such talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dub63

Denerick wrote: »
    I think its more of a tradition. The amount of bad conversations I've had to endure up round the borderlands (Where Fianna Fáil are still seen as a viable alternative to Sinn Féin for many soft Republicans) is testament to this. These people hate Fine Gael because they see them as Protestant and wealthy. They hate Labour because they see them as urban and 'fancy'. Where else is there to turn to. Republicanism in Irish politics is mostly invention anyway, and Fianna Fáil really are great at the meaningless pious platitudes. Unfortunately many Irish people are easily swayed by such talk.

I figured as much alright. Thanks for the contribution! :)

Anyone else any opinion on the subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

Dub63 wrote: »
    I figured as much alright. Thanks for the contribution! :)

Anyone else any opinion on the subject?

Thinking about the person who founded the party, there´s no question about republicanism in FF at all. The other questions that springs to my mind, aren´t the most parties in the RoI committet to republicanism in some ways, or is "Republicanism" simply the replacement of "Nationalism" (which isn´t quite the same in the meaning of both words)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

I do think there is a strong sense of Republicanism in what is referred to as the 'grassroots'.
    I have only every met two types of die hard FFailer as regards the stance on Republicanism in my life. Some I've known very well, others in passing.

There is, no joke, still the civil war guy who will see it as almost treasonous not to support FFail, based on the belief that they are the only true all Ireland party that never wanted the country divided but have had to make do with the decisions of others. This takes priority over any talk of corruption or lack of concern for the non-connected average Irish person.

The second type are not as easy to read as I cannot see any reasoning in ones support for FFail. These are generally business or professional types who will play down the whole Republicanism side of things and snigger at Sinn Fein types in that regard. Not unlike the party elite who took the moniker 'FFail - The Republican Party' from their campaign literature when it wasn't a vote winner'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I can't see how FF can see themselves as republicans.

They bankrupted the country and gave away our sovereignty.

Even at grassroots level they have to take responsibility for this treachery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

raymon wrote: »
    I can't see how FF can see themselves as republicans.

They bankrupted the country and gave away our sovereignty.

Even at grassroots level they have to take responsibility for this treachery.

Indeed, if greed, incompetence, and corruption etc = FF republicanism, then FF are truly republicans. As far as I am concerned all that Republicanism BS should be consigned to the past. We run our own country ( into the ground literally thanks to FF) and who needs all that Republican nonsense in the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Indeed, if greed, incompetence, and corruption etc = FF republicanism, then FF are truly republicans. As far as I am concerned all that Republicanism BS should be consigned to the past. We run our own country ( into the ground literally thanks to FF) and who needs all that Republican nonsense in the 21st century.
    Are you sure you are not equating republicanism with nationalism. Repulicanism is as relevant now as it has ever been. Could you point out any inherent flaws with republicanism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Are you sure you are not equating republicanism with nationalism. Repulicanism is as relevant now as it has ever been

How so... we are a republic. Do we need to keep convincing ourselves or others?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is it apt that some of their principles align with those of the US Republican Party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

I find them hard to pin down. Obviously an outside observer, but their supporters are quick to throw stones at parties with core stances should they be seen to stray, which isn't really playing by the same rules if supporting a party with no visable concrete values or beliefs, well none they adhere to anyway.
    I would suggest they don't ever write Republicanism off, but raise and lower the flag depending on votes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement