Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use computers less since smartphones?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 5:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

Just noticed lately i never really use my laptop Anymore as its quicker and easier to go online on my smartphone anyone else notice themselves not spending hours with a laptop on their lap?

Where does this leave the future of laptops and computers with smartphones getting so advanced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's a lite hard too type on a sandstone than as latino.

*posted visa sweetie

*how fcukong ironic is it that Swype doesn't recognise itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I think Windows 8 is proof positive that the next shift is from laptops to more mobile tablet/smartfone devices for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gobythewall

Dont see the point in a tablet yet. I use me phone on the go, and yes a laptop at home. Dont have any use for a third device until thy merge two of them at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Dont see the point in a tablet yet. I use me phone on the go, and yes a laptop at home. Dont have any use for a third device until thy merge two of them at least...

Agreed i can justify getting a tablet/ipad over the iphone its basically the same thing with a bigger screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Only a matter of time before smartphones have nice little fold-out keyboards. Touchscreen is a pain in the ass on any OS.

Then the smartphone companies will compete for who can make a bigger smartphone with a nifty fold-out keyboard.

It might even get to the point where it has a 15 inch screen.

• Advertisement

Agreed i can justify getting a tablet/ipad over the iphone its basically the same thing with a bigger screen

Exactly except the iphone goes in me pocket :D

As long as it fits in the pocket but youre probably on the right track. One unified device!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I can barely stand using a touchscreen to use the internet on my Vita. I'd hate to think what it would be like on a tablet.

Its the way of the future whether we like it not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

As long as it fits in the pocket but youre probably on the right track. One unified device!!!

Patent on fifteen inch pockets is mine bwahaha

• Advertisement

Damn!! Ill have to buy bigger trousers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

Only a matter of time before smartphones have nice little fold-out keyboards. Touchscreen is a pain in the ass on any OS.

Then the smartphone companies will compete for who can make a bigger smartphone with a nifty fold-out keyboard.

The Google G1, the very first Android phone I believe, had a slide out keyboard. Ive got one sitting in the drawer right over there from my T-Mobile days.

Ive had an HTC Desire HD for nearly 2 years now and one thing about it that really annoys me, is trying to use it if the screen gets wet from raindrops. Id much rather have a keyboard.

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/google-g1-phone-3699.html

There are quite a few smartphones with physical keyboards even now. Google G2, HTC Desire Z, Motorola Droid 2 3 & 4, Samsung Epic, T-Mobile (HTC) My Touch 4G, HTC Arrive and virtually all the Blackberry phones have physical keyboards.

There are a load more, but thats the main ones I can think of.

Ive had an iphone since they became available in these parts, always found it easy and intuitive to operate. Im on my fourth by now and im a beliver, never had an issue even through all the tinkering. Though Apple admit its my right to do so these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 johnfatz

Laptops and tablets seem the obvious merge to me. I have phone, tablet and laptop and find I really only use the laptop for word & excel etc - aside from that, I can do everything else on the other 2.

Tablets will get faster and more memory so using them with a wireless keyboard and mouse for the times I need to do my work and then using them as a tablet for everything else seems the natural progression for me.

For those who say laptop and phone is enough, I used to be the same until the iPad, now its so much more convenient than booting up the laptop and waiting for everything to load up etc. Best for when half watching the box and half need to do a few things online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I only got a laptop three years ago. G'way with these Orwellian phones and their other bad properties that are a result of me not having one.

So my point is still valid. Laptop or tablet & phone. No need for all three and as I leave one of them at home it might as well be a laptop as a tablet, bearing in mind that my next laptop will undoubtedly have touch screen technology.

Davidius wrote: »
    I only got a laptop three years ago. G'way with these Orwellian phones and their other bad properties that are a result of me not having one.

You equate phones with Telescreens??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its the way of the future whether we like it not

Very true. I'm young but still find myself as a bit of a technophobe. I suppose it comes from working with my 1960's/70s Dad straight from college. He still exists on fairly primitive forms. At current me and the secretaries are trying to put our stack of typewriter print and handwritten client files onto computer.

Very true. I'm young but still find myself as a bit of a technophobe. I suppose it comes from working with my 1960's/70s Dad straight from college. He still exists on fairly primitive forms. At current me and the secretaries are trying to put our stack of typewriter print and handwritten client files onto computer.

How do you go about that? Seriously. Are you scanning or typing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How do you go about that? Seriously. Are you scanning or typing?

Scanning is what we do. In all seriousness we could could probably exist as a company in our current format, things still run pretty smooth and have done so since I came onboard, but I feel we need to get in touch with the 21st century. :pac:

• Advertisement

Like I said, we'll have to get with it whether we like it or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You equate phones with Telescreens??
    I'm sure they'll sneak them in with the next iteration of the iPhondroid. Soon after they'll start auto-correcting everything to newspeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Ultrabooks seem to be the crossover from laptop to tablet.
    There are some nice looking models on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭SlowJack

At the moment, I still prefer my laptop, much easier to type on and have it on my lap while watching TV. But sure, phones and tablets is much easier to travel with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I prefer to use my laptop, having to type with a touch screen is hard for long emails and that kind of thing :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If they switch over to tablets I'd have to use a physical keyboard. Touch screens are as annoying as f*ck to use on large devices.

I don't even have a smartphone... I spend all day working from home on the Internet. When I go out the last thing I want to do is sit there browsing the web.

Advertisement