Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea cabinet to supergun project

Options
  • 10-11-2012 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

This is something I've been meaning to do for ages. Just trying to think it out now. Probably best to write down! Might motivate me to make a start on it too.

So I have an IKEA table with a VGA monitor mounted in it. At the moment, it's being used for the Dreamcast via the SLG3000. All VGA connected and easy.

Now, here's the plan.

Take one vertical JAMMA board, run it through a Vogatek supergun, Scart out, into some upscaler with VGA out, through the SLG3000 and then it should appear on the VGA monitor with lovely scanlines. And there you have it, an IKEA supergun.

The part I'm having difficulty with is the upscaler. They all seem crazy expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper solution to things like the XRGB? Could a simple VGA to scart cable work if the monitor supports 15k?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You could pick up a 4:3 monitor with a S-Video input, plug the Supergun into the thing directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Pretty sure that LCD monitor won't support 15Hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You could pick up a 4:3 monitor with a S-Video input, plug the Supergun into the thing directly.

I could, but I don't fancy taking the existing decased LCD out and sourcing/mounting another. Plus if I don't go via VGA at some point, I can't get scanlines :(
    Pretty sure that LCD monitor won't support 15Hz.

Thanks, so that means I'll have to get a scaler.

I could get this one as it's cheap, but it doesn't have a scart socket. So I'd need to get a sync strike to go with it.

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/product_info.php?products_id=13

So the end product would be -

Jamma board > Vogatek Supergun (scart out) > Sync Strike (scart in & VGA out) > CGA Scaler (VGA in & VGA out) > SLG 3000 (VGA in and VGA out) > Monitor with jamma board running and scanlines.

That's some chain! :eek:

If anyone knows of a nice scaler that doesn't cost 300+ euro and has scart in and VGA out, let me know.

Could get this as it's the sync strike/CGA scaler/SLG 3000 all in one. (would leave me with two SLG3000s though)

http://www.arcadeforge.de/product_info.php?products_id=29&XTCsid=ca034qthckmanc15mtg3070a31

This CGA/VGA adaptor will accept composite sync. which is what the Jamma board puts out. Wire up a VGA cable to a SCART plug and you're good to go.

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Audio-Video-Converter-CGA-to-VGA_778.html

Those superguns are only glorified cables adaptors anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is it really going to be worth it?
    By the time you're finished it's going to cos a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

A supergun will work fine with a LCD once your using scart/RGB.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHgwPQAvq0

A supergun will work fine with a LCD once your using scart/RGB.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuHgwPQAvq0

LCD telly accepts a lot more signals types than the LCD monitor Oisin has :p

Can't see this being worth it to be honest unless you already have most of the gear lying around.

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it really going to be worth it?
    By the time you're finished it's going to cos a fortune.
    Can't see this being worth it to be honest unless you already have most of the gear lying around.

Thankfully I already have everything needed lying about. The only thing missing is a scaler.

Seems worth it to me, as I have no other way of playing my vertical boards at the moment. I could buy another CRT and rotate it, but this seems like a much neater setup. The end result should be the same - Raiden 2, vertical, with scanlines! :)

Just this way I don't have an extra CRT (whch I'd be murdered for buying) and crap loads more cables lying about the place.

Ah well, I'll look into that scaler anyway and see what the story is.

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

LCD telly accepts a lot more signals types than the LCD monitor Oisin has :p

Whoops, thought he'd an LCD TV:p

• Advertisement
Advertisement