Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Email Support: A Conspiracy?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

So I got rejected for a grant due to SUSI reading my application wrong. Going to make an appeal but before that I need SUSI to email me back their understanding of my current situation.

HOWEVER. I emailed them last Friday, no reply as of today, emailed them yesterday, no reply to that either. Has anyone else in the past week gotten a reply from SUSI? I'm kinda thinking they're withholding information from me so I won't appeal (I know I'm right I just want it in writing)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

So I got rejected for a grant due to SUSI reading my application wrong. Going to make an appeal but before that I need SUSI to email me back their understanding of my current situation.

HOWEVER. I emailed them last Friday, no reply as of today, emailed them yesterday, no reply to that either. Has anyone else in the past week gotten a reply from SUSI? I'm kinda thinking they're withholding information from me so I won't appeal (I know I'm right I just want it in writing)
    I have a friend in a similar situation OP, they thought he was attending a different college and got refused, are now ignoring his requests for information so he can appeal. Is it information about you that you need or general information? Could a freedom of information request help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

I'd only ever email if it was a yes/no question. If I wanted to explain a circumstance or wanted/needed information, I would ring them. Anytime I've emailed or called them, I have gotten answered. One of my emails was answered about a week later. That was the longest I waited. But, I would definitely recommend you call them and explain your situation. Emails would probably mean you would be back and forwarding a conversation for ages. At least with a phone call you would be able to say what you need to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭pauly58

Enlist the help of your local TD, I don't think you'll get very far on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ring the CDVEC - ask them who their freedom of information officer is.

Ring him/her

Tell them you want the information

Threaten them that if there are delays you will complain to the information commissioner and the ombudsman

Keep a copy of everything and take notes after calls

If you have to - complain to the information commissioner and the ombudsman

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3 manda25

my sister wants to appeal her grant...they say on the appeal form that u need to refer to the terms and conditions with the reason why u believe they made a mistake in your case. I've searched for these terms and conditions and cannot find them anywhere. I have emailed Susi support a week ago and they have not emailed me back with the T&C's link or a contact number. The 0761 08 7874 number on the susi website does not work. Does anyone have a number that they have gotten through on or have the link for the T&C's??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

manda25 wrote: »
    my sister wants to appeal her grant...they say on the appeal form that u need to refer to the terms and conditions with the reason why u believe they made a mistake in your case. I've searched for these terms and conditions and cannot find them anywhere. I have emailed Susi support a week ago and they have not emailed me back with the T&C's link or a contact number. The 0761 08 7874 number on the susi website does not work. Does anyone have a number that they have gotten through on or have the link for the T&C's??

I think this is the T and C.

Do you know on what basis she was turned down?

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1339418623/Student_Grant_Scheme_2012.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks mango salsa!! no they never said. they have approved one type of a grant but it just about pays for her rent, let alone travel to college, food shopping or college books!! mother is a loan parent. a friend of my sister got granted more and she's in a better situation than my sister. if they dont approve her appeal she will have to drop out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Some pointers:
    • Phone if there's explaining to do
    • Don't email asking about your previous email, they get thousands of mails, they'll have no idea to what you are referring.
    • If they haven't responded to your first email, it's not because they're ignoring you, it's because the winning operator bid is not suitable for purpose

CDVEC is not properly set up to service the needs of the volume of applicants, that's not the fault of the staff.

I need a phone number to call though....can anyone help with this??

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

manda25 wrote: »
    I need a phone number to call though....can anyone help with this??

SUSI's number is: 0761 08 7874 but it's going to be hard to get a responce from them. You should try the Facebook/Twitter page too; much quicker responses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement