Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android (Nexus) Devices and UCC wifi

• 10-11-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has managed to connect their nexus devices to the university wifi? I have a samsung galaxy nexus and have never managed to establish a working wifi connection. Am considering getting a Nexus 10 but obviously college wifi would influence decision, as iOS devices connect no problem.

Anyone with a nexus 7 have a working connection?

This hasn't helped...

http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/network/wireless/smartphonetablet/
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think a friend of mine had his Galaxy S3 connected to the UCC Wifi so I would imagine you should be able to connect with any Android device..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Since it isn't mentioned anywhere in your post, you have actually registered the phone with SIT right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Ya you will need to register your device first here:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/network/wireless/

Then bring it down to the boole basement and they will finalise some other details. It's not just a case of following the steps in the link you have in OP because in that case everyone in the surrounding area would be using the UCC wifi for free...

However there are issues with certain android devices. They were unable to connect my One X and it is running ICS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

Ya it's registered and all that. Ya one girl i Know has her S3 hooked up no problem. There's a guy in my class with a nexus 7, must ask him if he has it working. OTher buddy of mine with Galaxy Nexus also has trouble with it. I've been playing around with it since December with no luck. Downloading proxy browsers and all that kinda lark but no luck. Guys down in the IT centre are fairly clueless too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

The nexus 7 and nexus 10 will work on the college network with no problems. Your Nexus should work too as long as it's running the newest firmware :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

UCC IT people seem to be pretty bad at this wifi stuff. You have to be fairly luck for your Android device to work. I also have a Linux (Ubuntu) computer and they can't seem to be able to connect it to the wifi despite their site saying that they can do it. I have a friend who has a win8 laptop and they can't connect him to wifi either.

It's even more ridiculous when I know people in CIT who have Android phones, all of which work fine with the wifi there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

They've tried and failed to connect my Galaxy Nexus running Jellybean 4.1.2.

I can connect to the network with the UCC Students SSID. No access to the internet though. Chrome comes up on my phone saying the proxy settings are incorrect. I've tried every variation of the proxy settings but they still can't get it to work.

Infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Harkin

I've had my Galaxy Nexus registered and working with the wifi since last year, make sure you have the security and proxy settings right for the connection. They should be able to tell you the right ones at the helpdesk, or you can PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yeah I have seen a few devices work fine. Make sure MsChapV2 is selected as the secondary authentication and use the following for the proxy settings: 10.255.255.10 Port 8080. To get the proxy settings (on ICS at least) you need to tick "Shown advanced options" under the wifi network settings page.

Mario007 wrote: »
    UCC IT people seem to be pretty bad at this wifi stuff. You have to be fairly luck for your Android device to work. I also have a Linux (Ubuntu) computer and they can't seem to be able to connect it to the wifi despite their site saying that they can do it. I have a friend who has a win8 laptop and they can't connect him to wifi either.

I'm an IT member of staff in UCC so I should be able to answer some of your questions

Firstly - We can connect android devices as long as the device allows for a proxy to be designated. This is typically available in any device that is 2.3.6+ or if the user has a rooted device, then it can be done through a separate app.

Ubuntu can be connected. I have connected 3 of them in the past number of weeks with only slight issues, and they were easily resolved. Just be patient, because there are slight variations between KDE and Gnome that all the staff wouldn't be aware of - remember, we're just students working part time to help everyone out where possible! If someone point blank says they can't connect it, just ask if there's somebody else who might be able to and one of us who has previous experience with systems like that might be working closeby and could help.

Windows 8 is not currently fully supported on the network due to a number of issues with Windows 8 itself, and the routers on campus. As the UCC network broadcasts using a WPA2 Enterprise connection method we have encountered a few issues regarding authentication. With Windows 8 IEEE 802.11w is natively used in the OS and clients running W8 then have issues because of interoperability issues in the service capability negotiation.

The routers used in the college are currently being upgraded to hopefully support this, however it did not appear to be an issue when initial testing was being run. If the user is tech-savv, they can downgrade their drivers to Windows 7 ones and it should theoretically work then.

Also, For the Nexus devices, what I have found recently is that they are taking quite some time to connect, however if they are rebooted with the new settings saved previously, the connection should almost be instant.

What we're finding is people are trying to connect to the UCC Students network without previously coming to get their devices approved and when they do, the settings which the user has used to attempt to access the network has saved. The best work-around for this is to "forget" the network, reboot the device and start from scratch. I'll inform the other staff members of this as it seems to be a continuing issue.

Edit: Just to add aswell, for devices which should almost definitely work on the network (ie: Samsung Galaxy S3) and then appear not to when students come to get them authorised, 9 times out of 10 it's because of the MAC address being entered incorrectly, so just double check before you click submit to make sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 fionn14

Yup i have it connected now. I just re registered and went back down to the helpdesk. Id say i had the mac number wrong first time round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Hmm..

Mine had the proxy down as "http-proxy.local".

Changed it to the one mentioned a few posts back 10.xxx.xxx.xx" and now it works fine.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kickupgravity

DJ Hafez wrote: »

If not too much hassle could you post step-by-step ubuntu wi-fi setup?

I have a dual booting laptop and one of your colleagues set up the wifi on my windows partition few weeks back. I mentioned linux and they did not seem too comfortable with it, so I did not insist. Currently running Mint 13 (Mate). Am able to connect to the UCC student network from linux, but no information seems to getting through. Thanks a mill.

I have a dual booting laptop and one of your colleagues set up the wifi on my windows partition few weeks back. I mentioned linux and they did not seem too comfortable with it, so I did not insist. Currently running Mint 13 (Mate). Am able to connect to the UCC student network from linux, but no information seems to getting through. Thanks a mill.

Something really strange that I noticed with a computer dual booting last week, was that the MAC addresses appeared differently in Windows and Linux so double check that.

I'll try and see if I can remember how it's done, if not I'll get a live linux and check it out during the week. Failing that, you can always call to me some day I'm working and I'll figure it out and note the steps so I can make a manual for staff to use in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

Only applications running on ports 80 and 443 work. To configure these applications to use the proxy open up your terminal and type
    export http_proxy=http://server-ip:port/

I'm not sure exactly what the ip or port number is for the UCC proxy server but maybe one of the help desk guys can tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I've done all the steps as above but my phone still wont connect to the network? It keeps saying its an authentication problem, Any ideas?

Ok when ever I set the phase 2 authentication to MSCHAPV2, and press save and then go back to modify the network it keeps deselecting it.

calnand wrote: »
    I've done all the steps as above but my phone still wont connect to the network? It keeps saying its an authentication problem, Any ideas?

Ok when ever I set the phase 2 authentication to MSCHAPV2, and press save and then go back to modify the network it keeps deselecting it.

Has the device, with the correct MAC address been approved by a member of staff in UCC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

I think it may be meteor blocking the proxy access, im after getting a nexus 7 and its been registered, so im going to get that to work and forget about my phone. People seem to have better results with the nexus

Advertisement