Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

America: Ordering the torture of innocent people and lying about it is fine, but...

Options
  • 09-11-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

...have an affair and you're scum.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1109/cia-director-david-petraeus-resigns.html

What
    The
    Fuck :confused::confused::confused:

Now I accept that this particular guy took over in 2011 and wasn't directly involved in any of the major scandals. But I find it incredible that this man was forced to resign over a private family matter which is absolutely nobody else's business, while former CIA staff who presided over a reign of terror and criminality for almost a decade previous to his did not face the same fate.

Two issues here. Firstly, why should a private matter such as this force someone to lose their professional job? Secondly, how in hell does one get away with the things the previous directors got away with, but get effectively fired over something like this (He resigned, but under pressure, so effectively one can say he was fired).

Anyone else find this slightly messed up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

I did'nt read any of the above but i tossed a coin and apparently you are right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

More to this than meets the eye.
    Backhanded politics id say.

Also maybe Obama wanted him out for a while and made his move ASAP after winning the election ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

More to this than meets the eye.
    Backhanded politics id say.

Also maybe Obama wanted him out for a while and made his move ASAP after winning the election ?

I really hope so, if the face value of this incident is what actually happened it's extremely depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

ooooohh....controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

So America should have voted for the rape guy? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

If you are will ing to cheat on your partner then it say a lot about you.

Could you really trust someone who is a cheat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm dumping the mistress at once and sticking to waterboarding people with beards. Thanks for the moral guidance OP:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

In before 'Merica comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Big Bottom wrote: »
    If you are will ing to cheat on your partner then it say a lot about you.

Could you really trust someone who is a cheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

What
    The

Now I accept that this particular guy took over in 2011 and wasn't directly involved in any of the major scandals. But I find it incredible that this man was forced to resign over a private family matter which is absolutely nobody else's business, while former CIA staff who presided over a reign of terror and criminality for almost a decade previous to his did not face the same fate.

Two issues here. Firstly, why should a private matter such as this force someone to lose their professional job? Secondly, how in hell does one get away with the things the previous directors got away with, but get effectively fired over something like this (He resigned, but under pressure, so effectively one can say he was fired).

Yeah, it's all makey uppy political nonsense . The general public will not pay attenion to seeminly minute details .He will probably get paid a handsome pension for the rest of his life. I think it is pretty safe to say that David Petraeus made a VERY BIG MISTAKE that is covered up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

An affair leaves him open to blackmail and as such is a complete no-no. A secret service agent lost his job recently for the same. It's nothing to do with "moral outrage" as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Nodin wrote: »
    An affair leaves him open to blackmail and as such is a complete no-no. A secret service agent lost his job recently for the same. It's nothing to do with "moral outrage" as such.

Ding ding ding !!

We have a winner !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Well, apparently it is a no-no for an intelligence agent to have extramarital relations, because they might surrender sensitive information to their paramour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in before you know who

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

No I dont know, who!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

So disappointed to hear about this. Petraeus was a fantastic general. Read a few books about him. Great leader of fighting men and women and awesome tactical leader. Everyone has their faults obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Well, hope he doesn't go running for the hills;)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

in before you know who

Urmmm.......Voldemort?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Urmmm.......Voldemort?

Beetlejuce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Archeron

Beetlejuce

.....beetlejuce.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Beetlejuce

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

Nope still no sign of him. Bummer. I'd really like to meet him.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnny D. Mudd

Spiritual wrote: »
    Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

Nope still no sign of him. Bummer. I'd really like to meet him.

I'm sorry. It's just I've been struggling to find my black and white three-piece suit and the dog is currently chewing on my left shoe. Just give us a few minutes and I'll get things sorted and make an appearance. Meanwhile the Head Shrinker is on his way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

What
    The

Could be who he had the affair with is the problem?

Advertisement