Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a phone for a 62 year old lady?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm after a new phone for my mum who is 62 years old.

She currently with Tesco mobile

All she wants is to be able to use facebook and something thats easy to use

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

RPS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

iphone 4

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

too expensive and not the easiest of phones to use for a 62 year old.

she doesnt need all the bells and whistles, just wants to be able to use facebook

she doesnt need all the bells and whistles, just wants to be able to use facebook

in fairness, if she wants to be able to use facebook, then she will need a smartphone, and iPhones are one of the easiest smartphones to use.
    I would recommend looking at some of the windows phones, if the budget suits.
    What is the budget?
    Bill pay or Pre pay?
    What network?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

With the greatest respect, this is not about your mother being 62, its about her being non-tecky. That's fine, not everyone is interested in technology, but her age is irrelevant. There are quite a lot of us on Boards who have a good few years on your mother and use computers etc comfortably. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

One of my friends has these and there great for the price

Sony Xperia Tipo

*Edit: just seen its for Tesco mobile, but you can get the unlocking number for the sim as I don't see Tesco mobile stocking the Sony Tipo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Your original question is impossible to answer because you didn't give a budget.

A cheap smartphone is harder to use than an expensive one. As the screen and touch sensitive is usually what suffers on the cheaper phones. The iPhone is probably the easiest one to use. So it comes a question of budget. Why doe she need facebook on a phone? Be better on a tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Nokia C2-01

sime free 99 yoyos

http://www.fonez.ie/nokia/419-nokia-c2-01-sim-free.html

has facebook shortcut
    descent camera
    messaging

sorted....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bmm wrote: »
    Nokia C2-01

sime free 99 yoyos

http://www.fonez.ie/nokia/419-nokia-c2-01-sim-free.html

has facebook shortcut
    descent camera
    messaging

sorted....

That has a terrible camera, as well as a small screen and can't connect to wi-fi so the cost of using facebook would add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

One of my friends has these and there great for the price

Sony Xperia Tipo

*Edit: just seen its for Tesco mobile, but you can get the unlocking number for the sim as I don't see Tesco mobile stocking the Sony Tipo

Available sim free from Amazon.de for around €115.00 with free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Doro 409
    Hi guys,

I'm after a new phone for my mum who is 62 years old.

She currently with Tesco mobile

All she wants is to be able to use facebook and something thats easy to use

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

RPS
    I bought Doro for my mother she 79 and she finds it great to use. It a clamshell and you answer it when you open it. The numbers are big so easy to see. It also has a panic button on the back that you programe yourself with your mobile numer so if she needs hel p she just pushes it and its will text up to 4 people. Its only €29.99 on Tesco mobile.

http://shop.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=97

Opps sorry Only read the facebook bit now. This phone is no good for that but if you check out their website they have some new phone that might do the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement