Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter thrown from cars

Options
  • 09-11-2012 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

This morning I was stopped at a set of traffic lights when some litter (a kit-kat wrapper) was thrown from the rear passenger window of the car in front.
    It's a pet hate of mine so it annoyed me.
    I started a mini rant in the car and my wife told me to leave it.
    This annoyed me even more.
    Anyway, the light went green and we drove on, while I was still behind the same car there was a regular disposal of wrappers, now out of both rear windows. I blew the horn in frustration and my wife sank deeper and deeper into her seat, saying she was embarrassed.
    Eventually the car in front indicated that it was turning, as it did so I saw that there were two early teenage boys in the back seat, stuffing their faces, and again they dumped their wrappers out the window, this was about the fifth time in the space of a few hundred meters.
    I turned and followed them, out of my way, up through Mallow's main street, until the car pulled in to a parking spot.
    I pulled in next to them and politely asked the parents (through the open rear window) to ask they kids not to litter the place.
    TBF I think the parents might not have known what the lads in the back were doing, they seemed a bit surprised at me telling them. The two lads looked surprised too.
    But, I also got the distinct impression that they also didn't give a sh1t, judging by the response of "I will yeah".
    I drove on, still feeling annoyed, my wife was shamed.
    So AH, did I overreact or is it okay to call out littering as it happens.
    I also have the reg number and will be reporting it to the council after lunch, but to be honest I would imagine very little will be done.

Your thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

If people stopped littering we'd suffer more job loss', keep littering folks..its the only way forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

It's a scummy thing to do. Cigarette butts out the window drives me nuts too. I can't imagine reporting them will do much, as you've nothing by the way of physical evidence. It doesn't sound like your wife has your backing on this one.

I agree with you however, b-harte 1, wifey 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Poor kittens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Well done Op and this is not a rubbish thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Maybe you should give up the job op and chase people with their children in the car full time .
    Im doing a tyre screeching class for extra children scary time . Sometimes I watch monsters inc for inspiration .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Getting worked up about dumb assed things moronic drivers and passengers do when behind the wheel will only result in you getting agitated or distracted. Or stabbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I think its actually legal to through litter from a car - once its moving that is. I read that here in After hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

Better than throwing a bag of kittens out of a car. Yes my mum's friend saw someone do this. Of course she rescued the poor little guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sounds like you need a break, have a kit-kat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You're wasting yer time reporting it, I rang the Litter warden about this before and was told that it was my word against theirs and that he wouldn't waste his time following it up

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it's worse when you drive a motorbike and people throw fag butts out their window!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

FatherLen wrote: »
    it's worse when you drive a motorbike and people throw fag butts out their window!

Motorbikes don't have windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I was going to say a gay joke here but I shant as I am not that sort of person, over to yous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

There's a part of me that always wants to get out of the car, pick up the still smouldering fag butt and throw them back into the car onto the lap of the person who threw it out, telling them "You dropped this".
    Thankfully, there's another far more sensible part of me that over rules that desire.
    Still, it's nice to leave the mind wander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'd smash every window and light in the car with a sledge, brush the broken fragments up and take them to the recycling centre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Good afternoon to you..

b.harte wrote: »
    There's a part of me that always wants to get out of the car, pick up the still smouldering fag butt and throw them back into the car onto the lap of the person who threw it out, telling them "You dropped this".

I tried that once, I wasn't so polite about it though

I said "You gonna pick up that butt? Or do I have to glue it to the end of my shoe and stick it into your big fat pimpley a-hole?"

He hit me with a bat :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

maximoose wrote: »
    I tried that once, I wasn't so polite about it though

I said "You gonna pick up that butt? Or do I have to glue it to the end of my shoe and stick it into your big fat pimpley a-hole?"

He hit me with a bat :(

No he didn't. He zapped you with a taser :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Fair play to you OP admire you for saying what you did, I hate people who throw rubbish out car windows and as for the driver did not know she obviously has let them do this all their lives.
    Report it there will probably be CCTV along the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭dollypet

Litter bad= littering sh1tehawks.
    However stalking and nagging. Wow, I feel for your wife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I think the parents knew exactly what was happening but were surprised at being told off. These kind of parents are great at pretending they haven't noticed what their scummy kids are doing. I once saw a bunch of scumbag children spitting at swans and I shouted at them to stop. The mother said to me "they're just giving the swans some bread".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

b.harte wrote: »
    This morning I was stopped at a set of traffic lights when some litter (a kit-kat wrapper) was thrown from the rear passenger window of the car in front.
    It's a pet hate of mine so it annoyed me.
    I started a mini rant in the car and my wife told me to leave it.
    This annoyed me even more.
    Anyway, the light went green and we drove on, while I was still behind the same car there was a regular disposal of wrappers, now out of both rear windows. I blew the horn in frustration and my wife sank deeper and deeper into her seat, saying she was embarrassed.
    Eventually the car in front indicated that it was turning, as it did so I saw that there were two early teenage boys in the back seat, stuffing their faces, and again they dumped their wrappers out the window, this was about the fifth time in the space of a few hundred meters.
    I turned and followed them, out of my way, up through Mallow's main street, until the car pulled in to a parking spot.
    I pulled in next to them and politely asked the parents (through the open rear window) to ask they kids not to litter the place.
    TBF I think the parents might not have known what the lads in the back were doing, they seemed a bit surprised at me telling them. The two lads looked surprised too.
    But, I also got the distinct impression that they also didn't give a sh1t, judging by the response of "I will yeah".
    I drove on, still feeling annoyed, my wife was shamed.
    So AH, did I overreact or is it okay to call out littering as it happens.
    I also have the reg number and will be reporting it to the council after lunch, but to be honest I would imagine very little will be done.

Your thoughts?
    Rubbish thread?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't like littering but I know a guy who flicked a smoke butt out of the window and ended up getting a fine. Some woman spotted him and was willing to go to court. The Guard said it would be her word against yours so he just paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Take the number plate, time and place, and report them. They'll get a nice little fine in the post for littering.

Or risk getting stabbed over a toffee paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

should have reported them to county council and guards!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Following them was a bit much, but I completely agree with you that it's a disgusting thing to do. I can't stand litterbugs. Especially people who think cigarette butts aren't litter... wtf?! :confused: I just wish I was brave enough to say something :(

the_syco wrote: »
    Take the number plate, time and place, and report them. They'll get a nice little fine in the post for littering.

Do they actually though? Surely you must need to have some sort of proof otherwise that system is wide open to abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

maximoose wrote: »
    Do they actually though? Surely you must need to have some sort of proof otherwise that system is wide open to abuse

At the end of the day it is your word against theirs, but in the mean time its a hell of a lot of trouble for them... and youd never know, they may have missing nct or something aswell !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

the_syco wrote: »

It's not a simple matter of reporting a car reg and the council will send out a fine, there will have to be proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

should have reported them to county council and guards!!!
    I just passed on the details to the council office.
    Was going to go to the guards but as there is a local council office with a warden I figured that was the best place to go.

On the whole bravery thing, I'm not so sure on that, I was fairly nervous truth be told but I was more wound up so followed through.
    I think there is a whole issue with anti social behaviour being tolerated, with good reason in a lot of cases, because of fear and or intimidation.
    I also think if we roll over on the small things it's only matter or time before we roll on the big things too.

I'm not sure if I would have followed them for miles or anything, that would be a bit odd. If they hadn't pulled in when they had I would have just given up and reported it anyway.
    I think it was good to out the behaviour at the time, on some level it may change some behaviour.

Or not.

Advertisement