Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help confused

Options
  • 09-11-2012 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

hi all just wondering can someone please help me, as i have read so much information but none of it is very clear. My daughter is in sixth year and is planning on attending college next year, if she gets the points:) my question is what exactly is covered by the grant, im on jsa so she will be entitled to the grant but what does it cover?? will i need to try and borrow some money?? or will the grant cover registration fees etc?? im worried about it already hope someone can clear up the confusion for me thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi, well if she gets the grant she won't have to pay the student contribution, the awarding granting body will pay that. She also won't have to pay tutition fees because she'll be a first time undergraduate student.

She could get a maintance grant too, so if you look the income limits you will see how much she'd get. The grant comes in monthly installments which is a real pain for student accommodation which wants thousands of euro up front so just be aware of that and as you may be aware many of us haven't seen a cent of that grant money yet despite applying months ago.

If she'd have to move into student accommodation or a flat etc ask in advance if you can pay weekly or is it every few months because that's the real struggle for people right now, the grant comes in monthly installments but not in line for rent payments due. I'd advise having some sort of savings to get her through the first few months of college before the grant starts coming in if possible.

The way the grant works is that they transfer the money into your bank account and you're basically free to do what you want with it e.g. pay for bills, buy a school book, cost of travel.

It doesn't cover registration fees, you still have to pay around 150 euro depending on what college it is but that's it.

Have a look at this link and it'll show you how much each level of grant is worth etc:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Advertisement