Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Medals

Options
  • 09-11-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I run an underage hurling team which managed to finish runners-up in a prominent hurling competition earlier this year. I carried a panel of 30 players but was only given 24 medals. I approached the competition organisers requesting to purchase the extra 6 medals but was told that 24 medals are only ever issued for this competition and that they would not deviate from this practice. The company that made the medals will not entertain me either.

Can anyone suggest any suppliers who would produce a medal, if not identical, then very similar to what I have already? It is quite an elaborate bespoke medal with the four provinces and crossed hurleys in the middle.

Either way, I'll need something or I'll have six angry young men to deal with at the club's presentation day.:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Normally you'd go to a local trophy maker and ask them to make replicas, chances are they'll have contacts for the company that make them and will get exact replicas, then get all the medals (real and fake), put them in a box, close the ox and mix them up, that way you won't know who got real or fake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Just Pm'd you a link to a site that may be helpful to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

ResserTimo wrote: »
    I run an underage hurling team which managed to finish runners-up in a prominent hurling competition earlier this year. I carried a panel of 30 players but was only given 24 medals. I approached the competition organisers requesting to purchase the extra 6 medals but was told that 24 medals are only ever issued for this competition and that they would not deviate from this practice. The company that made the medals will not entertain me either.

Can anyone suggest any suppliers who would produce a medal, if not identical, then very similar to what I have already? It is quite an elaborate bespoke medal with the four provinces and crossed hurleys in the middle.

Either way, I'll need something or I'll have six angry young men to deal with at the club's presentation day.:(

What a ridiculous stance by the organisers, at juvenile level, its supposed to be inclusive of everyone who puts the effort it. It really would make you mad at who makes these decisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Imagine having a panel of 30 lads at underage? You'd give your right arm for that in a lot of Clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ResserTimo

Imagine having a panel of 30 lads at underage? You'd give your right arm for that in a lot of Clubs.

I combined two panels for this particular competition. Hurling is healthy enough in our club but not that healthy. Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In fairness to the county board, I can't believe I'm defending a county board, they have to draw a line somewhere in regards to the number of medals they provide, I guess leaving it at the official squad limits for the event is the best way, I'm surprised that a company would turn down business though, they probably have a "go-between" that they do their business through, if you find out who that is you'll be able to get as many medals as you want, it's all business to them :)

Clareman wrote: »
    In fairness to the county board, I can't believe I'm defending a county board, they have to draw a line somewhere in regards to the number of medals they provide, I guess leaving it at the official squad limits for the event is the best way, I'm surprised that a company would turn down business though, they probably have a "go-between" that they do their business through, if you find out who that is you'll be able to get as many medals as you want, it's all business to them :)

Point taken Claremen but it's not like they were going to be out of pocket. My club has offered to purchase the extras. The company deal directly with the board and told me that they do not want to rock the boat.

bruschi wrote: »
    Just Pm'd you a link to a site that may be helpful to you.

Thanks Bruschi. I will drop you a line as soon as I have checked it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was murder over this in this years Dublin u15 championships, the county board only provided 24 medals for two big clubs, and murder ensued. I can't see why the county board just doesn't just buy excess medals, they're not expensive and could be reused if they're not engraved. Or ask managers how many players they have before the game.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    There was murder over this in this years Dublin u15 championships, the county board only provided 24 medals for two big clubs, and murder ensued. I can't see why the county board just doesn't just buy excess medals, they're not expensive and could be reused if they're not engraved. Or ask managers how many players they have before the game.

Or simply tell the supplier that the club that won will want to but more medals off them and to let them do so at their own expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Or simply tell the supplier that the club that won will want to but more medals off them and to let them do so at their own expense.
    Thats the easiest solution and works well in other sports.
    Going back to when i was playing u14 rugby my club had 25 or 26 players and after we won anything we only got 22 medals.
    in rugby in east munster anyway every club that wins a league/cup or finishs as runner up only gets 22 medals and is given a contact number of the supplier so that they can contact them if more medals are needed.

That's what happens in Clare as well. I believe the GAA themselves give exact details of All Ireland medals to county boards so they can get more medals made after they win the All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

A few years ago, the ladies team in our club were runners up in the Championship and when the management were given the box of medals for the players, there was a note in the bag with the details of where the medals were bought so that if necessary, the club could buy the extra medals. I can't understand why other codes and county boards can't follow suit especially if you're willing to pay for them but on the other hand, if you're paying a competition fee to the county board, surely they should cover the cost of enough medals?

I don't know where in the country you are Resser Timo but Eurotab in Temple Bar are very good and they can do "made to order" products so it might be worth visiting/ringing them. Also, Irish Rubies on Marlborough Street also do a wide range of medals. Good luck and Congratulations on your achievement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Buying the medals is the only option.

Kerry had a famous incident in 1997 when Mike Hassett who was captain all year didnt get an All Ireland medal as he wasnt on the panel for the final,his bother Liam lifted the cup,but then when the medals were been handed out they only had 21 medals and Mike was left out,which led to himself and Liam leaving the panel for a year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

It states it in the official guide part 1 about the number of medals to be provided, I think there should be an amendment stating that if the number if medals required exceeds this, then the club will have the option of buying more from the supplier. I can understand why people would not copy then, since many of the designs are copyrighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

ResserTimo wrote: »

I'm very surprised to hear the vendor wouldn't supply you more medals.

Year in year out teams arrive to 11 a side competitions with panels in the mid 20's without any advance notice of the huge numbers and the DCB get the blame - they are always told to go to the medal vendor and are always accomodated.

If you want to pm me the details I should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

What a ridiculous stance by the organisers, at juvenile level, its supposed to be inclusive of everyone who puts the effort it. It really would make you mad at who makes these decisions.

You should probably arm yourself with the full facts before making ridiculous ill-informed sweeping statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭wonga77

I know our club won a county and munster title at club level last year, we got medals for 24 players also and had to buy the extra 5 or 6 to hand out to everyone. I think we'd a panel of 30 or so at the time (everyone available in the parish was rounded up) To be fair, the county board and munster council were helpful steered us in the right direction both times

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our cumann na mbunscol you get the medals for the specified panel number and if you need more, you can buy them on the day.It is a fair arrangement, or else where do you stop with the panel size/free medals.

Advertisement