Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Trouble with Windows 8

Options
  • 09-11-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

..Is anyone else having browser trouble with windows 8?

Every single one of my browsers aren't loading properly so I though it could be the internet, but I'm using a computer in the same room connected to the same connection and its working perfect.

New laptop, anyone else having this prob or know why I would be having it ?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Sounds like an IP address conflict to me.

Try unplugging the router/modem for about 30 secs and try again.
    The routers built in DHCP should assign them properly again, restart laptop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i was searching for answers to this.
    i think its a wireless setting.
    im getting limited wireless after laptop sleep.
    and default gateway not available.
    if some of the settings ive changed work then ill post them here.

another few things ive been trying and that have worked is getting all the new drivers from your laptop manufactures website , in my case lenovo.
    sped the machine up and vastly improved start up times.

oh one more thing , ive found that chrome works better in the 32bit version , ie by clicking it from the desktop rather than the app.

really really annoying niggly things getting to me with this windows 8 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    really really annoying niggly things getting to me with this windows 8 :(

It's beyond annoying for me at the moment! I want a laptop to do work not for games and apps and it seems to be as fiddly as hell to get things done. I might get used to it so not totally going to pass judgment right now, but first impressions aren't good at all.

Anyway I'm having a similar though I think different problem to yourself which I just posted a little while ago, Can't connect to the internet on wireless networks.

funny , i did some training with windows 8 and really liked it on the touchscreen so wiped w7 on my home laptop. it just hasnt been compatible although lenovo are releasing updates for w8.
    still pisses me off though that i had an almost perfect operating system with w7 and now im having to spend ages setting my machine up.

at least ive stopped the incredibly slow boot up and stopped it shutting down when i closed the lid.

basically , i used a lot of the thinkpads software that came with it and it was all conflicting with w8

this is my latest settings change and maybe it will stop the intermittent wifi drop.

Step 1 : go to your control panel
    Step 2 : go to "Network and Internet"
    Step 3 : click on "Network and Sharing Center"
    Step 4 : on the left side bar click on "Change adapter settings"
    Step 5 : Select your Wi-Fi connection (only select, do not double click)
    Step 6 : on the top click on the tab, "Change settings of this connection" ( for me i had to click on the double arrow icon [>>] to show it )
    Step 7 : go to the "Sharing" tab
    Step 8 : check the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection"

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    funny , i did some training with windows 8 and really liked it on the touchscreen so wiped w7 on my home laptop. it just hasnt been compatible although lenovo are releasing updates for w8.
    still pisses me off though that i had an almost perfect operating system with w7 and now im having to spend ages setting my machine up.

at least ive stopped the incredibly slow boot up and stopped it shutting down when i closed the lid.

basically , i used a lot of the thinkpads software that came with it and it was all conflicting with w8

this is my latest settings change and maybe it will stop the intermittent wifi drop.

Step 1 : go to your control panel
    Step 2 : go to "Network and Internet"
    Step 3 : click on "Network and Sharing Center"
    Step 4 : on the left side bar click on "Change adapter settings"
    Step 5 : Select your Wi-Fi connection (only select, do not double click)
    Step 6 : on the top click on the tab, "Change settings of this connection" ( for me i had to click on the double arrow icon [>>] to show it )
    Step 7 : go to the "Sharing" tab
    Step 8 : check the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection"

Tried that, didn't work for my problem, then again my problem isn't intermittent. Something is preventing my laptop from getting to the internet when it's connected wirelessly (have tried with firewall disabled!) :(

FWIW boot up time is fine for me on windows 8 - then again it is a new laptop with win 8 pre-installed so it'd want to be ;) - bout the only positive thing so far in my Win 8 experience.

yeah very annoying when its not running as it should , ive came close to uninstalling it a few times.
    just made the following changes that may help with my own wifi drops.

search for powercfg.cpl

then change when to turn off display

then advanced settings

there was an option to change wifi , wireless adaptor settings.
    mine was set at maximum power saving so i changed to maximum performance to see if that helps.
    maybe worth trying?

Nope. Didn't work, but thanks for the tip anyway. I had to restart windows before I could change the settings as win8 decided to minimise the windows every time I opened them from the taskbar! ggrrrr:mad:

ah well , hopefully you get a fix.
    im so fecked off with it , seems like every 2nd time i shut lid down it restarts.
    feel like throwing it out the window , not the snazzy experience the advertising machine portrays

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oneywu

I have the same problem, did anyone find a solution yet?

• Advertisement

ive been working with Windows 8 since I last posted.
    I still have niggling problems and am now just going to reinstall it and if that doesn't fix it then im going back to Windows 7.
    did anyone having the problems do a fresh install or just upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

Hello guys, my laptop was new so I brought it back to PC World. They did tests and turned out the motherboard was faulty.

Not trying to scare anyone now!! :P

all my problems were fixed by doing a clean install.
    works grand now :)

Advertisement