Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AREMT and PHECC

Options
  • 09-11-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

i see there are a crowd called PPA-INT in Denmark doing a paramedic course with clinical placement in Croita. they award a cert from a group called AREMT . now i know PHECC take people in on a case by case basis but has anyone had any experience with this particular cert before.

TBH it looks a little to good to be true i have sent them off a email for more details but am not getting my hopes up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Your probably better off emailing phecc and see what they say about that particular course.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

yea prob right i had a closer look at AREMT and PHECC websites and it seems that my suspicions were justified

PHECC require minimum of 300 hours theoretical plus 18 weeks undergraduate
    internship/clinical practice and one year internship/clinical practice

but

AREMT offer
    same theory but Students will have to do over a month of field internship. The field internship can be divided in to four single week sessions.

thats a hell of a diffrence

Your best bet is to look at the Paramedic Science Programmes in the UK. Liverpool John Moores one for example.

yea looks that way

am i correct in saying that i must be resident in the uk for 3 years prior to applying to the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

PHECC take people in on a case by case basis but has anyone had any experience with this particular cert before.

Hi,

As the only company here in Ireland who give the AREMT paramedic, I need to be clear that there is a large difference between AREMT and PHECC.

I have had many discussions with Pauline Dempsey and Dr. King about the AREMT. PHECC will not ever take the AREMT qualification. They have made that quite clear.

There has been one AREMT Paramedic who has gained PHECC Paramedic through the reciprocity route. But he did many months of clinical training in Bosnia over one entire year in order to qualify. PHECC has now closed that option.

AREMT has it's place. You can get a job in the oil and gas industry with it. You will never get an HSE job with it.

If you want to learn paramedic science there are many ways to do it. The very best option is to go through the UK route. The HCPC registration will transfer here to Ireland where the AREMT will not.

Be careful when you give money to organisations who promise things that they cannot provide.

BoonDoc wrote: »
    Hi,

As the only company here in Ireland who give the AREMT paramedic, I need to be clear that there is a large difference between AREMT and PHECC.

I have had many discussions with Pauline Dempsey and Dr. King about the AREMT. PHECC will not ever take the AREMT qualification. They have made that quite clear.

There has been one AREMT Paramedic who has gained PHECC Paramedic through the reciprocity route. But he did many months of clinical training in Bosnia over one entire year in order to qualify. PHECC has now closed that option.

AREMT has it's place. You can get a job in the oil and gas industry with it. You will never get an HSE job with it.

If you want to learn paramedic science there are many ways to do it. The very best option is to go through the UK route. The HCPC registration will transfer here to Ireland where the AREMT will not.

Be careful when you give money to organisations who promise things that they cannot provide.

Hey Boon. I presume there is a standards difference between the AREMT qualification and a PHECC-NQEMT one?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

BX 19 wrote: »
    Hey Boon. I presume there is a standards difference between the AREMT qualification and a PHECC-NQEMT one?

Hi BX,

The PHECC Paramedic training has an incredibly high level of academic standard. There are more hours in the PHECC Paramedic than the US or the AREMT Paramedic.

The difference is in the scope of practice. As an AREMT or NREMT Paramedic, I am allowed to give cannulation, put in definitive airways, run cardiac codes and have 60+ drugs at my disposal. The PHECC Paramedic cannot.

That is the difference between academic training and scope of practise.

We have had PHECC Paramedics come to our courses who have been working in the Offshore Industry. They could not get a job as a paramedic using the PHECC standards. In order to be a paramedic you must be able to give Advanced Life Support level of care. We can do that as AREMT Paramedics.

There is a place for PHECC Paramedics. But it is not outside of Ireland. Sadly, there are plenty of jobs for paramedics outside of Ireland but PHECC Paramedics will have to upskill to get them.

Advertisement