Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Do Not Do Christmas - Anyone Else?

Options
  • 09-11-2012 12:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

My partner and I gave up on christmas in 2008. We do not send cards, give presents, indulge in the cult of the hebrew zombie birth, hate turkey and we are very happy and save loads of money.

Anyone else out there who also opts put of this socio-psychotic-economic mass delusion?

I can tell you it is very easy to do and you realise that it's only conformist wankery holding the whole horse**** together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

what's with the Christmas threads, it's only November ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I dont do Ramadan, but I dont get my knickers in a twist with those that do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My partner and I gave up on christmas in 2008. We do not send cards, give presents, indulge in the cult of the hebrew zombie birth, hate turkey and we are very happy and save loads of money.

Anyone else out there who also opts put of this socio-psychotic-economic mass delusion?

I can tell you it is very easy to do and you realise that it's only conformist wankery holding the whole horse**** together.

Woah!!! Chill dude :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

So you're working Christmas day then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My partner and I don't put up a tree, if his children are not about we have a fancy meal and a lazy day with a lovely walk.

We use it as an opportunity to relax and share gifts and spend time together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Yes it's the conformists who are ****! :rolleyes:

Woah!!! Chill dude :eek:

He/she mightn't be grumpy if Santa was calling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Christmas ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Modern day Mr. Scrooge. Socio-psychotic-economic mass delusion good luck explaining that to all the little children.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Spread the Christmas cheer everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ooh aren't you just so cool and edgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Attention seeker seeking attenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I like christmas, It's a breakaway from the dull normality of life like most other holidays. It's a fun time, Free stuff, Booze and turkey. what's not to like?

Stheno wrote: »
    My partner and I don't put up a tree, if his children are not about we have a fancy meal and a lazy day with a lovely walk.

We use it as an opportunity to relax and share gifts and spend time together

We cant put up a tree cos we've a crazy cat who will just knock it over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

What would life be without the 24 hr xmas channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Janey, who let the Grinch out of his box? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yeah, god, it's like so mainstream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

I gave up on it years and years ago. Now the housemate want's to get a Christmas tree. That won't happen in my house if I can avoid it....

On a side note, I'm mad busy at work because of Christmas...

Reasons to hate it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Your post in a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don't celebrate any religious shyte as I'm not religious, but I will claim triple time for working 25 December.

Thank you, losers. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Christmas hipsters exist now, sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I dont like turkey either but I didn't give up Christmas because of it!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I don't celebrate any religious shyte as I'm not religious, but I will claim triple time for working 25 December.

Thank you, losers. :pac:

If it means nothing to you, why do you want extra money for working that day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Jimmy "the bah" humbug here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Chucken wrote: »
    If it means nothing to you, why do you want extra money for working that day??

He is a filthy capitalist:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I wouldn't buy in to it in any major way, but it is nice to have a time when pretty much everybody is taking the day off. Kinda like Italia 90 when everyone was glued to tv screens. Nice to have a shared experience.

Think when I have kids they'll be told there's a santa and they'll be told about the whole Jesus thing, but I don't think I'd celebrate the religious aspect of it at all (not believing in any such lark.) Think the idea of having a time of the year where you can be nice and give gifts to people is quite lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I love Christmas, just for all the traditions, I'm the most festive atheist ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Charles Dickens
    And therefore, Uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that [Christmas] has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!

I heart Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I love Christmas. I buy a shedload of gifts and give them to everyone I like, literally. I think if you have young kids, you "get" the magic of Christmas, if you don't, maybe you don't. Personally, I think it's wankery to dislike christmas. "We save a load of money". Big wup. Good luck bringing that with you. I'd rather have the memory of loads of great family christmasses - our house is where the whole family gets together at Christmas, even the cnuts I hate for the rest of the year, I get to do the "mein host" thing and everyone eats and drinks too much and has a laugh. It's my total favorite time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Chucken wrote: »
    We cant put up a tree cos we've a crazy cat who will just knock it over :D

I'd a dog who ate the chocolate decorations once :)

This year is more important to the Oh as his Mum is very ill and it might be her last xmas.

So far he's done card and decoration buying and we may spend it with them so he has good memories.

I like the run up to Christmas and the songs and stuff, but not overly bothered with the day itself.

And I love seeing the Oh with his kids at Christmas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement