Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone box

Options
  • 08-11-2012 11:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use them any more? There used to be an abundance of them throughout the small town where I live, now there are none. Even in Dublin City Centre there are massively dwindling numbers.

Can you even still get those phone cards with the chip on it and pay with those unit things???

Haven't used a pay phone in YEARS (I'm 21).

Do you use payphones? 59 votes

I still do occasionally
    0%
    I never did
    13%
    gustafopoisonatedCB19KevoCelly SmuntDEFTLEFTHANDWhere ToWhatsernamex33gobnaitolunacy 8 votes
    I used to but no any more
    35%
    R0otZebra3demakinzScrambled eggRedlion54krocstevek93Knex*LisaLeeYawnsWhere ToflutterflyeHonest opinioncitrus burstBillyMitchelSureYWouldntYaRothkoNalseven_elevenConorCBS 21 votes
    Atari Prank calls
    50%
    bytemike65PiligerLordSutchWurlyo1s1nJuliusCaesarGhandeeGillingtonwow sierraJoey the lipsBig NastyTopper Harleyathloneladoppenheimer1Faith+1bodhrandudeSafeSurferSunnyislandMo14 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Does anyone use them any more? There used to be an abundance of them throughout the small town where I live, now there are none. Even in Dublin City Centre there are massively dwindling numbers.

Can you even still get those phone cards with the chip on it and pay with those unit things???

Haven't used a pay phone in YEARS (I'm 21).

I know tourists who still use them as they would be cheaper than using the phones in the hotel rooms.
    Some even use them with those discounted value for use phone-cards dedicated with special rates for international calls.

Don't remember when last I saw locals use the phone-boxes though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

Does anyone use them any more?

Only to put my Superman suit on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Atari Prank calls
    I asked my nieces and nephews ranging in age from 13 to 19 did they ever use a payphone and non of them ever have.

I remember the old press A press B ones.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dont enjoy the smell of p1ss and stale smoke

so no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

I tried to, but quiet frankly someone of them are very complicated, plus the junkies have made the headsets wireless for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Can you still reverse the charges?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Atari Prank calls
    Can you still reverse the charges?

Dial 10 and get the operator :D remember that, stopped when I was 10 ... 11 years ago :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Have avoided phone boxes since I seen this documentary one night, where this fella went into one and this fcuked up sniper type give him a real rough time, he was in there for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Have you seen "phone box"? Or THE RECRUIT? What about ALEXANDER THE BLEEDIN' DEADLY?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

I still do, occasionally.

stupid, random motherf*#kers I want to play a game..... *settles on ps3 for tonite*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Atari Prank calls
    Have avoided phone boxes since I seen this documentary one night, where this fella went into one and this fcuked up sniper type give him a real rough time, he was in there for hours.
    Clark Kent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I never did
    Vaguely remember Bob Geldolf doing an ad campaign 'Phone wreckers are idiots' with some lad kicking the sh1t out of a phone box.
    I think I used one in an airport last year when my mobile lost charge.

PS I bought an original concrete Telefon box a few years ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Where To wrote: »
    Clark Kent?

Heh, thats super, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Soups123

Still jump in to dial my 999 call but hang up at 59 seconds so I'm not traced

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Atari Prank calls
    Thought this was something to do with colin farrel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Atari Prank calls
    Always a smell of wee & fags in the old box, and you never knew what might be lurking on the mouth/ear piece as you pressed it against your ear, door spring was always too strong, which always made it a real pain to open! Plus point > Good for sheltering on a cold and rainy night.

Loads of change needed too. Press button A now, or was it Button B? :))

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The day we're all gonna feel real old is when you ask some young whipper snapper if they ever used a phone box and they reply,
    "What use is the packaging?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Last time I saw te classic telefòn booth was by the entrance of a London Irish hostel, and I trust it's still there..

And a Japanese video game, about Irish folklore. they are part of our heritage

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

One of Colin Farrell's best performances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Atari Prank calls
    I remember the inside of London's boxes being plastered with prostitute sex adverts! add that to the smell of wee & fags :D

London telephone box > http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3626/3476920703_6ded3646e4_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Atari Prank calls
    Only when I have no credit/battery is dead, which is rarely ever.

Advertisement