Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another reason to dislike FOX

Options
  • 08-11-2012 9:53pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20251723
    A bid to block a TV service that allows viewers to automatically skip adverts on recorded shows has been rejected.

Fox had called for a preliminary injunction on Dish Network's Autohop ahead of a copyright ruling.

Broadcasters Fox, Comcast, NBC and CBS have each sued Dish Networks, saying the show recordings are unauthorised.
    Would anyone like to live in a world where the networks block your ability to fast forward past ads on stuff you've recorded ?

As this is the US anything is possible on appeal :(

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

without money from advertisers how do you expect them to be able to afford to make tv shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

without money from advertisers how do you expect them to be able to afford to make tv shows?

BBC manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

krudler wrote: »
    BBC manage it.
    How?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They get money from advertisers to run the ads. As long as people buy the merchandise they'll keep advertising.

Next, the networks (not just Fox, OP) will be coercing viewers into buying what's advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Ah Jaysus...

What did I ever do to you?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How?

With gumption and a yes we can attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

How?

Tv licence in the uk goes to the BBC if I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's hardly the biggest stick in the world to batter FOX with in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Hell yeah. South Dublin is plagued with the cunning bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Another reason to torrent! It is a tricky one. But I have often considered subscribing to Sky. They do have some good content. But if I'm paying, why are they making me watch ads too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How?

Taxpayers money I think. Aren't the BBC state owned? State owned media would never work in the USA, far too communist for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

MadYaker wrote: »
    Taxpayers money I think. Aren't the BBC state owned? State owned media would never work in the USA, far too communist for them.

Better to have a station bankrolled by the republican party i suppose

I believe that HD+ in Germany has already implemented a system to block you from skipping ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

State owned networks and radio broadcasters like pbs and npr often struggle for funding here and are constantly asking the public for donations. The media is dominated by private corporate networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Costing them too much in lost ad revenue as everytime someone fast forwards the people advertising in those slots do not have to pay, it will become more common around the globe as TV Broadcasting becomes more competitive and they will seek to make money from different avenues, i guess you will see alot more avertising in tv content/shows etc ableit more subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

This is why all my TV shows are torrented.

Advertisement