Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows problem - Help/Recommendation

Options
  • 08-11-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm running Windows 7 64bit and have/had Windows Security Essentials installed, didn't have anyother anti-virus on system.

I can't however access or turn on the windows security centre, I keep getting this message: "windows security service center can't be started".

I tried numerous options but all seem to do nothing, for example

support.microsoft.com

Everytime I enable to automatic, it will disable when I close the program and then the same sequence of events happen

I uninstalled WSE and downloaded AVG trial and found 2 threats which have now been removed, but I still can't access WSC.

1) Would have anyone have a solution to this?
    2) Would I be better off doing a recovery from a backup I have 2 months ago?
    3) Bite the bullet and do a clean install of Windows 8?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Try and do a system restore to a time your Pc was working well, it might solve your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

200motels wrote: »
    Try and do a system restore to a time your Pc was working well, it might solve your problem.

Yea it's looking like the best option, at least AVG is coming back as no viruses on my system.

I'l restore it later when I'm back home and will report the outcome.!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yea it's looking like the best option, at least AVG is coming back as no viruses on my system.

I'l restore it later when I'm back home and will report the outcome.!

Install Malwarebytes, update, malywarebytes, run a full scan.
    Sometimes AVG doesnt pick up everything, especially if it has been compromised.

kippy wrote: »
    Install Malwarebytes, update, malywarebytes, run a full scan.
    Sometimes AVG doesnt pick up everything, especially if it has been compromised.

Will do, cheers

okay, so ran a scan with malwarebytes (installed, updated, ran scan)and results are attached.

What can I do?

I uninstalled AVG to re-install MSE and can't even open it, and can't open windows security centre service.

@200motels: I've looked up about system restoring and if if would help in removing viruses but general consensus is that there is no benefit in doing so,

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, it's driving me fcuking demented

• Advertisement

okay, so ran a scan with malwarebytes (installed, updated, ran scan)and results are attached.

What can I do?

I uninstalled AVG to re-install MSE and can't even open it, and can't open windows security centre service.

@200motels: I've looked up about system restoring and if if would help in removing viruses but general consensus is that there is no benefit in doing so,

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, it's driving me fcuking demented

Did you reboot your PC after you ran the scan/removed the issues?

On the subject of system restore, not sure where you read that, but it's effectiveness varies with the type of virus encountered.
    It might be worth a shot at this point.

When you say you cant even open MSE or cant open windows security centre service what exactly are you doing/what is happening?

Did you reboot your PC after you ran the scan/removed the issues?

On the subject of system restore, not sure where you read that, but it's effectiveness varies with the type of virus encountered.
    It might be worth a shot at this point.

When you say you cant even open MSE or cant open windows security centre service what exactly are you doing/what is happening?

Yea I rebooted my PC after running scan/removing.

On the system restore point, yea it is quite varied but some answers I found said:
    Eg 1
    Eg 2
    Eg 3

I will give it a go and see anyway, so yea MSE keeps getting disabled, I do the following:

1. type services.msc into search programs
    2. run services as an administrator
    3. into properties on "service centre"
    4. set startup type as "Automatic"
    5. apply and start

Then when I try go into MSE it pops up for a second and goes (disables)
    When I go to MSC and try to turn it on I get the can't be started.

???

Yea I rebooted my PC after running scan/removing.

On the system restore point, yea it is quiet varied but some answers I found said:
    Eg 1
    Eg 2
    Eg 3

I will give it a go and see anyway, so yea MSE keeps getting disabled, I do the following:

1. type services.msc into search programs
    2. run services as an administrator
    3. into properties on "service centre"
    4. set startup type as "Automatic"
    5. apply and start

Then when I try go into MSE it pops up for a second and goes (disables)
    When I go to MSC and try to turn it on I get the can't be started.

???
    The first two answers don't appear to understand system restore or virus' being honest.

Again, the third answer is close to what I say myself. A lot of virus either disable system restore or delete restore points (or a combination of them all) however not all of them do this.

If you are able to do a system restore to a time before the virus (and system restore is working) was running on the machine then the virus won't be running/active on the machine - so you will be able to run the other bits and pieces you need to. However, there will be a system restore point on the machine (stored on the hard drive) that will contain the source files for the virus so your AV will tell you there is a virus "on" the machine, but it is of no harm UNLESS you restore to that point. For that reason it is recommended that whenever you remove a virus from a machine and you are satisfied there are none left, you delete the previous system restore points.
    (sorry, mightn't be too clear in what I am saying)

The first two answers don't appear to understand system restore or virus' being honest.

Again, the third answer is close to what I say myself. A lot of virus either disable system restore or delete restore points (or a combination of them all) however not all of them do this.

If you are able to do a system restore to a time before the virus (and system restore is working) was running on the machine then the virus won't be running/active on the machine - so you will be able to run the other bits and pieces you need to. However, there will be a system restore point on the machine (stored on the hard drive) that will contain the source files for the virus so your AV will tell you there is a virus "on" the machine, but it is of no harm UNLESS you restore to that point. For that reason it is recommended that whenever you remove a virus from a machine and you are satisfied there are none left, you delete the previous system restore points.
    (sorry, mightn't be too clear in what I am saying)

No sound, I get ye. I have my system backed up on an external hard drive (from 2-3 months ago, so its clean), will give it a go now and will report back. Plan now is to uninstall MSE, do one more quick scan with AVG, reboot, then do system restore, thanks again.!

Seems to have done the trick, thank fook, done a quick scan and all comes up clean.

Now to re-install FM13 :p,

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement