Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

try something stupid like putting naas in as the city....I found this to work for other places I was looking for. Worth a shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

markad1 wrote: »
    try something stupid like putting naas in as the city....I found this to work for other places I was looking for. Worth a shot

I will try again. But im sure I put names in on all fields with the same result, Not found.
    Yet the name is on its map.

This only happens in the countryside ..

I wish this loc8 system would kick off a bit better so delivery drivers would not have to spend so long finding the likes of..
    Mrs smith .
    The Curragh.
    House with green door.
    (beside the big cow) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I type into the Garmin ...
    Town:Naas
    Street Number: none
    Street: furyhill.

According to Garmin, no matches found.
    I just did that on mine (an ancient nuvi 760), and had Furryhill pop up straight away even after I'd typed in just the first two letters "Fu...". I did have a choice of quite a few different Naas's though when I typed in Naas into the search box, and I chose "Naas, Co. Kildare".

Alun wrote: »
    I just did that on mine (an ancient nuvi 760), and had Furryhill pop up straight away even after I'd typed in just the first two letters "Fu...". I did have a choice of quite a few different Naas's though when I typed in Naas into the search box, and I chose "Naas, Co. Kildare".

Sorry . that was a bad example

Try to find Gilltown , Kilcullen.

This was one that caught me out last week.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kilcullen,+Ireland,+gilltown&hl=en&sll=53.130286,-6.745279&sspn=0.014806,0.038581&hnear=Gilltown,+County+Kildare,+Ireland&t=m&z=14&iwloc=A

here it is on google maps.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Try to find Gilltown , Kilcullen.

This was one that caught me out last week.
    Found it in one go, no problem whatsoever. Popped up after I'd entered "Gillt...".

Are you sure you've got Ireland selected as the country in the search screen?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Found it in one go, no problem whatsoever. Popped up after I'd entered "Gillt...".

Are you sure you've got Ireland selected as the country in the search screen?

mine must be broken.

Cant find it. and many like it.

Should I return it?

Ireland is selected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Mine fund the Naas address OK but it has not found Kilcullen at all!!!

What I've found generally, it is best to put in the townland as the city. This works a good portion of the time.

At other times this does not work so I drive to the general area and try again, SatNavs tend to search nearby first, I've found a few like that too, that otherwise defy searching.

Spelling is of course a curse ~ there is often single letters instead of doubles and visa/versa, places can be one word when they are not and two words when they are not and so on.

Yes it is very annoying not finding a search only to see it displayed on the SatNav as one drives through it,

Check the spelling ~ whatever the satnav calls it is what you want, one letter astray and search might not work.

BTW ~Irish names can be a real curse ~ if you have the Irish, try that too, ,,,,

Odd ... are you absolutely 100% sure you're spelling it right? I literally just entered the first letters of Gilltown, not Kilcullen and it found it straight away.

The only thing I can think of is to double check your installed and selected maps. Go to Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info and check that the UK & Ireland map is present (note the version) and also double check that it is selected, i.e. there's a tick in the box. Otherwise it'll revert to the base map which has a very limited coverage.

Regarding search only working around the area you're in, In my experience that only applies to POI's and favourites as it shows a limited number of these, sorted in order of how far away they are from your current position. I've just tried mine on a couple of obscure townlands in Donegal and Kerry (I'm in Bray) and it found those with absolutely no problem too.

The biggest problem I have is actually finding addresses in the Dublin area, as the Garmin maps stick to the Dublin postal districts, and are unaware of some of the overgrown villages that have become used as names for (usually formally undefined) areas. Add to that the fact that people often say they're in one area for snobbery value when in fact they're in a (less posh) neighbouring one, and it makes life very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rich4life

I have found using google maps to give me an accurate coordinate of the place i need to get to. Simple just put the address your trying to get to in google maps and when found drag the little man down to that point and in the drop down bar press where am i. This will give the co-ordinates of this position in the search bar. Load these numbers into the sat nav and check. Should be exactly right. Sounds a bit much but is extremely accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Coordinates are definitely the way to go. A less complicated way of getting coordinates for any location from google maps is to right click on the location and click on What's Here ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement