Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro with external display(s)?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

I currently have an iMac and use it with an external monitor so I have 2 large displays, works great. iMac is long in the tooth and I am looking to replace it with a 15" MacBook Pro.

My question is, is it possible to use 2 external monitors with the MacBook? Or do I just have to just use 1 external monitor and the laptop screen as the 2nd monitor?

Reason I am asking is I was just in an office this morning where someone had a Toshiba laptop running 2 external monitors and they could also use the laptop screen as a 3rd monitor if they wished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

yes you can get a usb to vga adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

The 15" Retina Macbook Pro comes with two thunderbolt ports and a HDMI port. You could run a display off each port if you wanted to.

USB to VGA works, but it sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Sounds good. Will I be able to use them as individual displays or just mirrored displays?

individual displays

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The 15" Retina Macbook Pro comes with two thunderbolt ports and a HDMI port. You could run a display off each port if you wanted to.

USB to VGA works, but it sucks.

I believe the thunderbolt ports are also backwards compatible with minidisplay port.

• Advertisement

Well, I now have a shiny new15" Macbook Retina and love it so far. Just got it yesterday so am now trying to get everything set up correctly.

I have my Dell 21" hooked up using the HDMI port (HDMI -> DVI cable) and it works great, just highlights the difference between the Retina and standard. THe Dell monitor is about 10 years old now so no surprise!

What I now want to do is to use my old 2007 iMac as an external monitor, using Target Display Mode and this is where I am running into a problem. If it had Thunderbolt, it would be easy but it doesn't so I need to get a cable or adapter combination to connect the thunderbolt (mini-display compatible) port on the MacBook with the Mini DVI port on the iMac and I can't seem to find the cable.

CompuB aren't aware of the existence of one and I can't find one on the Apple Store.

Does anyone know of where I might get one of these? Or is there another way of doing it?

It would be fantastic is it works as I will then have the better screen on the iMac to use as my primary external display, and I will also have use of the iMac hard drive over the network to use as storage. I hope to keep all my data there and copy over current projects only to the MacBook (256gb ssd).

Many thanks for any advice!

EDIT: think I have the solution... I have a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and a dvi cable. THis is what I have used to connect the Dell to the iMac. If i get a mini display port to dvi adapter I can plug it into the MacBook.... Worth a try anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

curiousb wrote: »
    What I now want to do is to use my old 2007 iMac as an external monitor, using Target Display Mode and this is where I am running into a problem. If it had Thunderbolt, it would be easy but it doesn't so I need to get a cable or adapter combination to connect the thunderbolt (mini-display compatible) port on the MacBook with the Mini DVI port on the iMac and I can't seem to find the cable.

99.9999% sure you can't use the older iMacs as an external display. Only became possible on the newer models.

afraid you can;t use the imac as a 2nd or third display

Thanks for the replies! And yes, you are correct, as I found out after I got the adapter!

I'm still very happy with my new setup, as I ended up buying the 27" Thunderbolt display :)

So now I am using it as my 2nd display and I have my Dell connected via hdmi as my 3rd display!

with that 27" display Im sure that dell looks god awful!

• Advertisement

Yees! THe Dell is about 10 years old now and is really suffering in comparison. It was great for its time and certainly doesn't owe me anything now. It's just handy to have an extra screen to fire non critical stuff onto.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

curiousb wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! And yes, you are correct, as I found out after I got the adapter!

I'm still very happy with my new setup, as I ended up buying the 27" Thunderbolt display :)

So now I am using it as my 2nd display and I have my Dell connected via hdmi as my 3rd display!

You will need the mag-safe adapter to use the wires with it.

I am hesitant to get one for my MacBook right now... I reckon they're going to update it in line with the new iMac once they get the yields sorted.

I use one in work, they're a great screen.

Advertisement