Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel Price

Options
  • 08-11-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Diesel €1.499 in garage on Ushers Quay, Dublin. Best I've seen lately.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

shaysue wrote: »
    Diesel €1.499 in garage on Ushers Quay, Dublin. Best I've seen lately.

148 in palmerstown according to http://www.pumps.ie/

Crude forecast is positive: http://www.forecasts.org/oil.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

paddyp wrote: »

No harm

Recently bought petrol for just under €1.60/L in wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

That is actually a negative forecast but thanks for the tip.

650Ginge wrote: »
    That is actually a negative forecast but thanks for the tip.

negative is relative :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Cheapest fuel isn't always best (or even Safe!) I can buy diesel locally for 1.45 but I don't fancy having to get my injector pump and injectors replaced...

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Cheapest fuel isn't always best (or even Safe!) I can buy diesel locally for 1.45 but I don't fancy having to get my injector pump and injectors replaced...

Totally agree, I had Diesel Card crowd on the phone to me yesterday from Galway wondering why I don't fill up at the local core DCI site and fill up at topaz for about 5c more per liter.

The core site pumps are circa 20 years old, hoses are perished and during the last floods the entire forecourt was under 3 feet of water so I don't trust the place even though they are supplied by Top Oil.

I really think the topaz clean diesel additive makes a difference too. I consistently see an increase in the km/l over thousands of miles in the car and van.

The last two low cost places to open up around here were selling laundered diesel and closed by customs and excise. The estimates on the sale of laundered diesel in Ireland is up to 12%. Not worth the few cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I now use DIPETANE all the time.

Apart from the 'good stuff' it does to the engine every €10 bottle saves me about €20 of fuel at current prices, so it definitely puts me quids in.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I now use DIPETANE all the time.

Apart from the 'good stuff' it does to the engine every €10 bottle saves me about €20 of fuel at current prices, so it definitely puts me quids in.

I used to use wynns ecodiesel don't see the point now with the topaz stuff.

Dipetane are heavy on the claims and very light on the facts and details.

Most diesel additives are kerosene based with a cetane improving additive.

Looking at the density, viscocity and flash point of dipetane it looks like mineral oil - SN100 base oil used to make engine oil.

I used to use wynns ecodiesel don't see the point now with the topaz stuff.

Dipetane are heavy on the claims and very light on the facts and details.

Most diesel additives are kerosene based with a cetane improving additive.

Looking at the density, viscocity and flash point of dipetane it looks like mineral oil - SN100 base oil used to make engine oil.

I suspect its a very close relation to basic non-synthetic 2stroke oil myself, see HERE, but I am definitely getting a net return which is the equivalent to a saving of about 7 cents on every litre of diesel I buy. Plus the engine seems quieter and as for the other benefits only time will tell.

I suspect its a very close relation to basic non-synthetic 2stroke oil myself, see HERE, but I am definitely getting a net return which is the equivalent to a saving of about 7 cents on every litre of diesel I buy. Plus the engine seems quieter and as for the other benefits only time will tell.

Normal two stroke is a good bit more viscous, its very close to quenching oil at a x 6 markup.

I see around 3% improvement in economy with the topaz stuff in the van and 5% in the car consistently over the same 550km journey.

Is that 7c taking into account the cost of the dipetane if so whats the raw benefit.

• Advertisement

Normal two stroke is a good bit more viscous, its very close to quenching oil at a x 6 markup.

I see around 3% improvement in economy with the topaz stuff in the van and 5% in the car consistently over the same 550km journey.

Is that 7c taking into account the cost of the dipetane if so whats the raw benefit.

Over the last four tankfuls my car has gone from giving a regular mpg of between 50 and 51 to between 54 and 55 which represents an improvement of about 8%, and a saving of about 12.4 cents per litre at current prices. A one litre bottle of Dipetane treats 200 litres so it should save over €24 against the cost of €10 giving a net saving of €14.
    Plus the other side benefits like replacing the lost lubricity since sulphur has been taken out and cleaner emissions leading to benefits for EGR's, Cat's and longer engine oil life, etc.

Having researched the whole issue it appears that unlike other additives which boost the cetane number, Dipethane is not a simple additive, it molecularly alters the structure of hydro carbon fuel by facilitating the combining of additional oxygen to each molecule of the fuel thus increasing its burning efficiency and cleanliness. It is for that reason that it has beneficial effects in petrol engines and central heating boilers also.

Dipethane is obviously a trade name and while the exact composition of what is in the bottle is unique and patented, it probably has very close cousins which give similar results under different names/descriptions.

As regards quenching oil, I wouldn't like to put it in a fuel as its primary use is for cooling and heat transfer not burning to release energy.

Dipethane is not a simple additive

CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
    A mixture of saturated hydrocarbons with some aromatic unsaturated hydrocarbon compounds

Its straight out of the refinery no magic.

CHEMICAL COMPOSITION
    A mixture of saturated hydrocarbons with some aromatic unsaturated hydrocarbon compounds

Its straight out of the refinery no magic.

I don't really want to kick this around any further, suffice to say Dipetane saves me some money as I set out in an earlier post and I also feel/hear some of the other benefits.
    But everyone to their own :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

where do you get it , Niloc??

I don't really want to kick this around any further, suffice to say Dipetane saves me some money as I set out in an earlier post and I also feel/hear some of the other benefits.
    But everyone to their own :p

:) Not disputing that it works, its just their faux science and vague statements that annoy the engineer in me I need facts goddamnit :P

8% is a remarkable increase. Definitely worth getting it in the 5l or 25l at that rate 40% amd 60% cheaper that way.

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    where do you get it , Niloc??

http://www.dipetane.ie/suppliers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

paid 150.9 yesterday morning at the applegreen service station on the M4 at enfield.. best I've seen in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Hi guys, I was researching something complete different when I discovered this. It just goes to show that what some people say is true, the cheapest is not always the best. http://www.newsscoops.org/?p=795ays

Just for the info.

Diesel prices Today

Topaz Tralee 150.9 per liter............... Topaz Midleton 158.9 per liter.

Refinery to Midleton 20 kms................Refinery to Tralee 155 kms

It looks like any eejit buying diesel in Midleton is getting ripped off by 8 cents per liter or €4 if buying 50

If Tralee is too far for someone living in the Midleton area Esso City Link is 151.9.

Just for the info.

Diesel prices Today

Topaz Tralee 150.9 per liter............... Topaz Midleton 158.9 per liter.

Refinery to Midleton 20 kms................Refinery to Tralee 155 kms

It looks like any eejit buying diesel in Midleton is getting ripped off by 8 cents per liter or €4 if buying 50

If Tralee is too far for someone living in the Midleton area Esso City Link is 151.9.

Add to that the fact that tralee has the highest ARV in the country and high rateable valuations so the tralee service station is lightly paying at least twice the rates that the midleton one is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Price of diesel in Spain reduced from 1.409 to 1.359 today

Usher's Quay 1.497 stock dipetane on the shelf.
    €10 for a 1 litre bottle. Does 200litres fuel mix.
    Bottle claims up to a 10% increase in mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Does it work? I reckon I'd save 20 euros a bottle (after buying it).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

Topaz in Tralee was €1.479 yesterday. Down the road, apple green was 1.459. Filled up at Topaz as its supposed to be a cleaner more efficient fuel! All other Topaz stations on way up to Kildare were at least 5p more. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Diesel is 1.47 in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ally k

applegreen always cheaper wonder why ??????up here in donegal lot of fellas got their engines wrecked on applegreen diesel all good cars too audi a4s and expensive cars...I always run on topaz diesel even its a bit dearer hav had no problems so would steer clear of so mentioned diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

maybe the owner of the apple green stations is suplementing his supplies with "green" diesel from another source ;-) I run my skoda and toyota on apple green diesle and it's fine so far touch wood.

If I wanted to save 10% I could just slow down a bit and skip the fuel additaves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 JR Ewing

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/dublin-service-station-fined-14k-for-fuel-overcharging-2927898.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15482349

http://www.argus.ie/news/new-sample-test-helps-ensure-fuel-is-legitimate-3121714.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_mix_diesel_and_Biodiesel_in_the_same_tank

PRICE is only 33% of the bargain when buying fuel. Have you considered the VOLUME you are getting (is the measure correct) or what QUALITY is the fuel?

When you buy any petrol, diesel or kerosene products you are essentially buying something that you cannot see, you cannot measure yourself and you cannot be sure what it is "made" up of. Be very careful where you shop for these products!!! Take it from someone with over 20 years experience in this industry!! Fraudulent practise is rife!!

If I wanted to save 10% I could just slow down a bit and skip the fuel additaves

...and if you wanted to save 20% try slowing down a bit with fuel additives.

It can be more significant, I find a 25% increase in mpg at 80 kmp/h instead of 100kmp/h.

• Advertisement

Always worth filling up in Tralee on the 3rd it was 146.9 in Topaz by manor where I filled up maxol and Kell oil 145.9 apple green 144.9. Everywhere in Galway was 152.9+ topaz was 154.9.

Advertisement