Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protect Yourself Online

Options
  • 08-11-2012 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

A Security Message from Bank of Ireland

Protect yourself against Phishing attacks.

Here are some important things to remember in order to protect yourself online:
    • Never respond to any unsolicited e-mail that asks you to validate your login / payment credentials no matter how reasonable the request looks.
    • Never reveal any personal login information to anyone. 
    • Scan your PC regularly using a reputable anti-virus or security protection program.
    • Monitor your accounts and your list of online payees on a regular basis.
    • Report it if you suspect that you have been a victim of online fraud. 
    • Always shred confidential/personal information
    Phishing is a common form of online fraud involving emails claiming to be from your bank or other reputable company. Bank of Ireland would like to remind all customers to be vigilant of online fraud attempts and to keep your online banking details safe and secure.

The aim of phishing emails are to steal valuable information from you such as your 365 User ID, PIN (all six digits will be requested not just a random 3), Passwords, Date of Birth, Mother’s Maiden Name, mobile phone and account details (full account number(s) and Bank Sorting Code(s)). Customers are generally asked to click on a link that looks safe but this brings the customer into a fake website where they will be asked to update their details and input their personal data. 

This information is then used by the fraudsters to set up beneficiaries on your account(s) and move funds from your account to the false beneficiary account.

Quite often the email will mention that your details have been compromised or that for security reasons you need to update your personal details… You should never respond to this type of email or click on the link provided, no matter how reasonable it appears.

How we keep you safe online

It is a top priority for Bank of Ireland to keep you safe while you are banking online with us. WE WILL NEVER SEND YOU AN UNSOLICITED EMAIL REQUESTING YOUR PERSONAL DATA.

When logging onto 365 online we will always ask you for:
    Your full 365 User ID
    Either your Date of Birth OR the last four digits of your phone number – never both
    3 random digits from your six digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) – never more, never less

Update - 14/01/2013 - Please see fraudulalent pop up, currently in circulation:

236242.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

A Security Message from Bank of Ireland

Protect yourself against Phishing attacks.

Here are some important things to remember in order to protect yourself online:

Never respond to any unsolicited e-mail that asks you to validate your login / payment credentials no matter how reasonable the request looks.
    Never reveal any personal login information to anyone.
    Scan your PC regularly using a reputable anti-virus or security protection program.
    Monitor your accounts and your list of online payees on a regular basis.
    Report it if you suspect that you have been a victim of online fraud.
    Always shred confidential/personal information

Phishing is a common form of online fraud involving emails claiming to be from your bank or other reputable company. Bank of Ireland would like to remind all customers to be vigilant of online fraud attempts and to keep your online banking details safe and secure.

The aim of phishing emails are to steal valuable information from you such as your 365 User ID, PIN (all six digits will be requested not just a random 3), Passwords, Date of Birth, Mother’s Maiden Name, mobile phone and account details (full account number(s) and Bank Sorting Code(s)). Customers are generally asked to click on a link that looks safe but this brings the customer into a fake website where they will be asked to update their details and input their personal data.

This information is then used by the fraudsters to set up beneficiaries on your account(s) and move funds from your account to the false beneficiary account.

Quite often the email will mention that your details have been compromised or that for security reasons you need to update your personal details… You should never respond to this type of email or click on the link provided, no matter how reasonable it appears.

How we keep you safe online

It is a top priority for Bank of Ireland to keep you safe while you are banking online with us. WE WILL NEVER SEND YOU AN UNSOLICITED EMAIL REQUESTING YOUR PERSONAL DATA.

When logging onto 365 online we will always ask you for:
    Your full 365 User ID
    Either your Date of Birth OR the last four digits of your phone number – never both
    3 random digits from your six digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) – never more, never less

Update - 14/01/2013 - Please see fraudulalent pop up, currently in circulation:

Thats great Billy, maybe you can tell us why BOI engages in a similar activity itself that could leave their customers in doubt as to who is contacting them?

Its strange that you should post this, Ive received unsolicited phone calls from BOI, private number, before they even tell me what it's about they insist I part with security information, I've refused a number of times and have requested not to be called in this way, but still I have been contacted, I'm not declining to be contacted, I have requested to be contacted by post and if BOI so wishes to contact me by phone to confirm if I have received post. I know they declined to follow up by post as I then received nothing.

I know what dept it is now and I had to confirm that checking a number they gave me to contact them back, but Im still confused as to why I would be called from a private number and have BOI staff ask me details which you say above people should be careful with.

I cant even make a complaint about it as BOI dont do complaints, after searching for a facility on the BOI website to make a complaint about this and finding none, I contacted BOI, who told me I have to contact a member of your staff who make the complaint on my behalf??

you say you wont send unsolicited emails, why do BOI make unsolicited phone calls to customers??? asking for the information which you recommend to be kept secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Merch,
    Thanks for posting.

Genuine emails form Bank of Ireland will never contain links, asking customers to update their banking details.

While a BOI department may need to proactively call and speak to a customer, if you are asked to provide banking details that you do not feel comfortable providing, please ask for the staff members full name and the department they are calling from and you if you wish, you can call then back on the published number for that area.

You can view our Customer Complaints Process here

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement