Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passing along something that really helped me....

Options
  • 08-11-2012 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

At some point during my first year or so of sobriety, someone shared with me a version of the serenity prayer that has been really helpful to me:

Grant me the serenity
    to accept the people I cannot change,
    the courage to change the one I can,
    and the wisdom to know it's me.

When drinking was my answer to everything, and even when I first sobered up, I liked to look at the problems in everyone else. I looked for the ways that OTHER people needed to change. I have since learned that applying the serenity prayer in my life - both the original and this version - helps me to focus on what I CAN change - me.

I cannot control what other people do. I can't control how people drive on the common roadways, I can't control what my wife says and does, and I can't control what people post on an anonymous internet forum.

What I CAN do is assess what I choose to say and do. Do my words and deeds reflect the kind of person I am striving to become? Are my words and deeds helpful or hurtful to myself or others? Am I sticking my nose in other peoples business where it does not belong? Most importantly, am I focusing on the changes that need to occur in *me* and allowing others the freedom and responsibility to work on the changes they are trying to make?

FWIW..;)

Advertisement