Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving when home from Oz

Options
  • 08-11-2012 6:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi
    I am going back to Ireland for a week in January from Australia.
    Just wondering what the story is with driving when I get home?
    Can I drive my mothers car and not need to worry about getting insurance or anything like that, basically just sit in and drive and be covered by her insurance even though I am not a named driver on her insurance?
    Obvisouly I have a full driving license. And I am 24.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No you need to be insured. If you're over a certain age some companies will allow you on their policy for free, otherwise it costs a bit (less than 100 euro for a month in my experience).

Her insurance covers just her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No you need to be insured. If you're over a certain age some companies will allow you on their policy for free, otherwise it costs a bit (less than 100 euro for a month in my experience).

Her insurance covers just her.
    How do you know that? His mother may have "open driving" on her policy, meaning anyone with a licence and her permission may drive her car on her insurance. The cover is usually 3rd party only and age / licence duration restrictions may apply e.g 21 to 70 years of age, at least 2 years fully licensed experience and it may cover only holders of Irish licences. Check check and check again. "Open driving" is called "open driving" if it applies to that policy; it will not be called anything else.

OP's mother may get this extension free if it's not already included (I had it at one stage but it was eventually costing IR£100 p.a. so I cancelled) but check the restrictions.

Otherwise, as suggested, OP will need to be explicitly named on the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

mathepac wrote: »
    How do you know that? His mother may have "open driving" on her policy, meaning anyone with a licence and her permission may drive her car on her insurance. The cover is usually 3rd party only and age / licence duration restrictions may apply e.g 21 to 70 years of age, at least 2 years fully licensed experience and it may cover only holders of Irish licences. Check check and check again. "Open driving" is called "open driving" if it applies to that policy; it will not be called anything else.

OP's mother may get this extension free if it's not already included (I had it at one stage but it was eventually costing IR£100 p.a. so I cancelled) but check the restrictions.

Otherwise, as suggested, OP will need to be explicitly named on the policy

Apologies you're right I should've mentioned open driving as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The easiest answer will be call your mother to call her insurance company to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The easiest answer will be call your mother to call her insurance company to find out.
    Seems a logical first step

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

So i sing to you
    though you cant hear me,
    when i get through
    and feel you near me,
    driving in my car...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

hoffog wrote: »
    Hi
    I am going back to Ireland for a week in January from Australia.
    Just wondering what the story is with driving when I get home?
    Can I drive my mothers car and not need to worry about getting insurance or anything like that, basically just sit in and drive and be covered by her insurance even though I am not a named driver on her insurance?
    Obvisouly I have a full driving license. And I am 24.
    Thanks in advance :)

Is it an Irish Licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Remember that Irish people cannot drive and you'll find it scary and extraordinarily annoying to be back on Irish roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Remember that Irish people cannot drive and you'll find it scary and extraordinarily annoying to be back on Irish roads.
    Thinly veiled I am in Oz thread :)

Thinly veiled I am in Oz thread :)

not me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm Irish and am an excellent driver. Just like most of my fellow drivers. Don't get this at all. Have you driven in UK? USA? Italy? Vietnam?

Just because Australians are known to be polite drivers doesn't mean Irish are bad drivers.

OP if your mother has a decent policy you should be able to be put on as a named driver for next to nothing and it should only take a quick phone call for her to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Have you not been on an Australian motorway? They make up for a slow max speed by pretending they're in some kind of lane changing/undertaking game.

As a cyclist, the drivers here in Brisbane pass me regularly so close they brush the hairs on my arms.

Long story short, I don't think there is anything worse about Ireland compared to Australia.

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm Irish and am an excellent driver. Just like most of my fellow drivers. Don't get this at all. Have you driven in UK? USA? Italy? Vietnam?

yes, yes, yes, no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

yes, yes, yes, no

And how are we worse than any of them?

USA - Cars move into your lane with no indicating and little space
    UK - Fast cars ripping down the motorways changing lanes like they're in a car chase movie
    Italy - Madness!
    Vietnam - Never driven there either

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fixing Good

Please promise me one thing if you do drive in Ireland again; Just use an indicator on roundabouts!!
    If you dont i will find you, and i will k....................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

There are three ways that you can be covered to drive another car which does not belong to you:

1) If you are covered named driver on someone else’s policy. The cover provided would generally be the same as the policyholder enjoys ie if the Policy is Insured Comprehensively you will also be Insured Comprehensively. However, some policies may restrict cover to Third Party Fire & Theft benefits if you are under a certain age.

2) The person who’s car you are borrowing has “Open Driving” which allows any driver between a certain age (Usually 25 – 70 and has a Full EU licence and accident/conviction free) to drive their car with the policyholders permission.

3) Your policy allows you to drive anyone else’s car not belonging to you for THIRD PARTY BENEFITS only which is otherwise known as the “Driving other Cars” extension. This cover is normally included free of charge however certain Insurers may only provide this cover if you are over a certain age and/or have a Full EU license, certain occupations may also restrict cover. Always refer to your Motor Insurance Certificate to ascertain if you have this cover on your policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Am I the only one who thinks this is a stupid question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Misread the thread title as "Driving home from Oz".

Thread disappoints. :rolleyes:

budgemook wrote: »

And how are we worse than any of them?
    The total and utter lack of awareness shown by most drivers is the main thing. So many drivers do stupid and dangerous things and don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You can rent a car pretty cheap these days too, might end up being cheaper than setting up insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The total and utter lack of awareness shown by most drivers is the main thing. So many drivers do stupid and dangerous things and don't even realise it.

Unfortunately the only crash that I have had in 30 years of driving was when a w**nker ran into the side of me in Christchurch.:mad::mad:
    "Sorry mate,didn't see you"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If your mother has open driving, you'll be ok to drive here on an Irish/Eu or Oz licence.
    If she does'nt have open driving she may be able to add you as a named driver, most times it's free or cheaper to add a driver to the policy permanently as temp cover can work out expensive.

Advertisement