Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dovetail bar Celestron AS-GT mount?

Options
  • 08-11-2012 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Hey guys , so yeah i found out that the dovetail bar that i have for the 500mm doesnt fit my celestron mount. Any ideas where and which one i need?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

celestrons use vixen style dovetails for your mount ,unless its been modified.
    what kind of ota you have again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nerro wrote: »
    celestrons use vixen style dovetails for your mount ,unless its been modified.
    what kind of ota you have again?

Whats ota?..... i'll just be using a 500m Nikon lens for the time being. I need the bar that connects that too the mount as the one i have doesnt fit :(

so ill just measure roughly the width size i need for it then?

Could you specify the model of the lens?
    your mount accepts vixen/synta style dovetails.Like these ones :
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Astronomy-Accessories/Collimators-Powertanks-Other-Accessories/Skywatcher-Dovetail-Mounting-Plates.html
    So you dont need to do mesure...There is losmandy style dovetails but they are for heavier scopes (much wider for extra stabilty).
    To be honest its strange that you can fit....i used to have vanguard tripod and the removable adaptor for it fitted my mount.I only used 70-200mm zoom lens so got away with stability issue.
    To be honest i am not sure if there are any plates for lenses?
    P.S.
    OTA - optical tube assembly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Nerro wrote: »
    Could you specify the model of the lens?
    your mount accepts vixen/synta style dovetails.Like these ones :
    http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Astronomy-Accessories/Collimators-Powertanks-Other-Accessories/Skywatcher-Dovetail-Mounting-Plates.html
    So you dont need to do mesure...There is losmandy style dovetails but they are for heavier scopes (much wider for extra stabilty).
    To be honest its strange that you can fit....i used to have vanguard tripod and the removable adaptor for it fitted my mount.I only used 70-200mm zoom lens so got away with stability issue.
    To be honest i am not sure if there are any plates for lenses?
    P.S.
    OTA - optical tube assembly :)

AH cool , ill get onto Stephen so and see if he can help with the one i need.

heres the lens here . http://bythom.com/nikkor-500mm-f4-lens-review.htm

The dovetail bar that we have for it is too wide for the mount. It fits the monfrotto tripod though.

Cheers for the info! :)

yes those should work, just screw one of them to the handle of your lens, i see there is a threaded hole there already.

• Advertisement
Advertisement