Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Permission Problem

Options
  • 08-11-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

I have a small issue that i've had for a while but finally decided to tackle..

i had a laptop (W7 HP) OEM on a 500GB HDD

I removed the HDD and ODD and put the HDD into the Place where the ODD was via a caddy and installed an SSD as the main boot drive...however i kept the old HDD intact windows and all

so now i have the problem that i cannot access some of the files on my HDD when i am booted into Windows on my SSD..

I've tried to add permissions to the HDD but it doesn't seem to work

i have alot of files like over 450 GB or files on the HDD so format is out really

any ideas to how i can make the HDD fully accessable to all files on the HDD?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Basically, Windows currently thinks the owner of the files is the account you were using for your previous install.

On the root folders on the HDD, go to right click->Properties->Security->Advanced->Owner->Edit,

Tick the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and then click 'Other users and Groups' and set it to your current account.

It'll probably take a while with 450gb of stuff, but it should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Blowfish wrote: »
    Basically, Windows currently thinks the owner of the files is the account you were using for your previous install.

On the root folders on the HDD, go to right click->Properties->Security->Advanced->Owner->Edit,

Tick the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' and then click 'Other users and Groups' and set it to your current account.

It'll probably take a while with 450gb of stuff, but it should sort it.

I'll try that thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

There's an app called take ownership google it to find out where to download it, I've used it before and it works, I don't have a link as I'm not on my Pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

200motels wrote: »
    There's an app called take ownership google it to find out where to download it, I've used it before and it works, I don't have a link as I'm not on my Pc.

Cheers I got it sorted took about 10 mins to do all the files but now seem to have access to all thanks for the help guys

Advertisement