Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Xbox drive

Options
  • 07-11-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So my xbox over the weekend suddenly did not start reading discs. It would take a few attempts to keep opening/closing the disc drive to start the game. Sometimes the disc can't be heard spinning in the drive. It just says 'reading' on the dashboard.

So I'm going to open the xbox open this weekend and see if it has something to do with the laser or whatever else. It is definitely not the open drive issue. So I was wondering if I don't fix this over the weekend, can I simply get a xbox dvd drive from ebay/amazon such as Hitachi or Philips or whatever and replace it with the one in the xbox? I was reading that you have to transfer the dvd key over using a computer. Can anyone guide me on how to do this?

Will give an update on Sunday or whenever I open the xbox.

BTW I've had the xbox since 2008 so it is definitely out of warranty.

Thanks guys,
    The N00B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

No, your DVD drive is paired to your motherboard by a DVD key. You cannot just stick another DVD drive in. What you need to do is purchase the exact same model, then read your DVD key from the old drive and flash the new drive with that DVD key. Alternatively purchase a replacement laser and install that.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

flash the new drive with that DVD key.

How would I do that?
    Sorry my first time doing this xbox stuff:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Either way you're going to have to pay. If you go the DIY option you need to buy some hardware for your laptop/PC and read up about DVD firmware flashing for the 360 or you could pay somebody in the Modding and Services sticky thread (top of the forum) to do it for you. Anybody offering DVD drive flashing should be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Or if your handy with a soldering iron, you can swap the logic board from your old drive to the new one, & that way you won't have to faff about with the dvd key. I think its four wires or so? Again though, it must be an identical drive to the original one

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

Hi lads,

Just finished repairing my xbox there:)

There was just a problem with the laser so just cleaned it with a wipe.

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hi lads,

Just finished repairing my xbox there:)

There was just a problem with the laser so just cleaned it with a wipe.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Now ya see why can't that ever happen for me?! Nooo, when EN decides to do a laser fix its always a diode burned out, & then there's an earthquake somewhere meaning there's a shortage of replacement parts :(:D

Advertisement