Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullyproof programme on RTE

Options
  • 07-11-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I just watched that programme 'Bullyproof' and would like to show it in the classroom to 1st and 2nd years. Do people/teachers think it is suitable to show? It is aimed at adults but I thought it would be interesting and useful to show in schools....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

grainneg wrote: »
    I just watched that programme 'Bullyproof' and would like to show it in the classroom to 1st and 2nd years. Do people/teachers think it is suitable to show? It is aimed at adults but I thought it would be interesting and useful to show in schools....

Depends how far you want to take is, theres probably a few factors that might need to be considered before you start i.e do you have an active bullying policy in place? If so do the students know about it? Do you have anything like a bullying awareness week or 'friendship' week? Do the students know the procedure to report bullying or what happens when they do? Is there a certain procedure for cyber-bullying that is covered in the IT policy?

I suppose I don;t want to sound like a negative nelly, but it depends how you do it, it appears like you're going to go it alone and jump straight in but maybe run it by a few colleagues first.
    In our school usually the chaplain/career guidance teacher/vice principal/year heads are given a heads up, as there could be issues currently being dealt with that you may not be privy to. So it might be too raw for some students if it's already being hashed out behind closed doors. It could be a very quiet subdued class or it could be an all out 'he said/she said' outpouring which could literally end in fisticuffs!!

Have a look at this site for links and info... here I think she's pretty much written the book on bullying in Ireland (well published the research anyway!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 grainneg

Thanks Armelodie! Yes our school does have an active anti-bullying policy and students know about it. We have discussed bullying at length in class and the students expressed a wish to talk more on it. We also have a survey system where students can anonymously express concern for other students who might be suffering bullying or other problems and it works very well. We held a safety awareness week where Samaritans etc attended the school. With regard to cyberbullying it is included in the IT policy which along with the anti- bullying policy is printed in students journals.
    I have been dealing with bullying issues and self harm etc at length in the past few years and felt that the programme might be beneficial to students who are suffering or who are bullying. I will run it by colleagues/ management first though as it is best that we are all on the same page. I suppose I just thought the programme was so good I wanted to see what other teachers thought about it! Have been in touch with abc at TCD already and have found their material helpful in dealing with issues relating to bullying.

I will leave it a couple of days anyhow and see what some colleagues think. Am still interested to hear what other teachers here think about it. The Irish Times gave it a mixed review!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thanks Armelodie! Yes our school does have an active anti-bullying policy and students know about it. We have discussed bullying at length in class and the students expressed a wish to talk more on it. We also have a survey system where students can anonymously express concern for other students who might be suffering bullying or other problems and it works very well. We held a safety awareness week where Samaritans etc attended the school. With regard to cyberbullying it is included in the IT policy which along with the anti- bullying policy is printed in students journals.
    I have been dealing with bullying issues and self harm etc at length in the past few years and felt that the programme might be beneficial to students who are suffering or who are bullying. I will run it by colleagues/ management first though as it is best that we are all on the same page. I suppose I just thought the programme was so good I wanted to see what other teachers thought about it! Have been in touch with abc at TCD already and have found their material helpful in dealing with issues relating to bullying.

I will leave it a couple of days anyhow and see what some colleagues think. Am still interested to hear what other teachers here think about it. The Irish Times gave it a mixed review!

I missed both episodes and assumed that they would be available online...but no joy...does anyone know why ??

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anfield liv

We are considering a 'friendship week' in school but a number of staff ,myself included,feel that it would be more beneficial to run something similar for the staff first before taking it to the whole student body.
    Personally I would find it very difficult to 'preach the word' if the whole staff were not behind it! The amount of bullying among staff is silent and horrendous,I would feel a fraud going into class and pretending everything was hunky-dory in the staff room.It would be rather uncomfortable preaching a message that was not practiced!

Fair play, looks like ye'r all geared up for it.. I havn;t actually seen the Program so I couldn;t give an opinion on it (Sorry).

• Advertisement

We are considering a 'friendship week' in school but a number of staff ,myself included,feel that it would be more beneficial to run something similar for the staff first before taking it to the whole student body.
    Personally I would find it very difficult to 'preach the word' if the whole staff were not behind it! The amount of bullying among staff is silent and horrendous,I would feel a fraud going into class and pretending everything was hunky-dory in the staff room.It would be rather uncomfortable preaching a message that was not practiced!

I suppose the students shouldn;t suffer because of staff issues though. So once you close that classroom door you can lead by example! I see your point about staff awareness too though, we had a whole school inservice and the guy giving it spoke in terms of bullying in all environments and the "group discussions" did give good opportunities to highlight and define bullying in the workplace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭J.R.

solerina wrote: »
    I missed both episodes and assumed that they would be available online...but no joy...does anyone know why ??

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10086244/

Advertisement