Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new electronic cigarettes...

Options
  • 07-11-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

are they really the same?
    I know a lash of people who have been converted to these e-fags but my biggest thing would be the cost, rollies cost me under e2 a day anyone else have an opinion on them?
    and aqre they safe to smoke?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

Sorry just found a whole new thread on this, I didn't relise.:o:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

As far as we know, safe to inhale. Much testing being done at the moment.

Definitely a few orders of magnitude safer than cigarettes.

The cost is more than when I was a rollie-smoker, but I only bought my tobacco abroad, quite cheap.

Typical juice cost for a month (depending on usage) would be between €20-€40 for the store-bought stuff, down to €7-€20 if you go DIY.

The replaceable parts that heat the juice cost between €1.40 for a cartomiser that should last a few days, or a replacement head for a clearomiser costs €2-€3 and last anywhere from a week to month typically (depends on juice and usage).
    Or you can get a rebuildable atomiser that costs a bit more up-front, but rebuilding costs a few cents+your time.

Obviously, I wouldn't recommend you jump into the DIY aspects until you're comfortable, but the options are there to make it cheap as fück.

As much as I've spent on ecigs, if I was spending €60-ish a month on tobacco and moved to ecigs, I'd already have broken even (after eight months), and every month that goes by after the break-even I'd be saving €20-€30.

Also, regaining taste and fitness is more than worth a slight premium if you don't go the hobbyist/cheap bastard route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hardware payback time for me was about 4 days.

40 a day fag habit = €570 per month

Once in a blue moon hardware cost of about €80 and about €60 a month in Juices. I am now able to make mince meat of my Visa balance. It feels......G...O...O....D !!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Calibos wrote: »
    Hardware payback time for me was about 4 days.

40 a day fag habit = €570 per month
    :eek:
    Just worked it out - If I spend no more money on vaping after today, I break even in 520-ish days.

Ugh.

http://www.puffin-eliquid.com/ukv/?banner=1483

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Similar for me, all my cigarettes for the past 3 years were duty free or German costs (€5 pack) which messes up my figures

Money saved on fags is €450, expenditure on Vaping €650:eek: I really dont care though, I will not buy main hardware for a long time. I have found 3 great juices, one daily vape and two evening treats. Running costs will be 15 cartos a month and 50 ml of juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

krissovo, which juices are you settling on there? Curious as to the main juice people are into, actually, I'll just start a new thread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

banner.png?p=11_12_2010_20_8.65_20_30.4375_8_30.4375_1_757575_c50707

should be euros instead of dollars but still.. yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

At around 0.60 euro for a pack of fags, Vaping in Asia is more expensive here than smoking which cost me under 20 euro a month...

Still the health benefits outweigh the cost - and its a reasonably harmless hobby to have.

If I were to buy my juice off the shelf instead of making my own it would cost me 4 euro per day...

A huge number of Vape Shops opening up and they always have a crowd inside even if everything is marked way up so I try to only buy from individual resellers to get the best deals...even getting my VG/PG from a pharmaceutical reseller rather than the vape shop to save a few $

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Has anyone any opinion on THESE e.cigs? See link below.

All the other stuff you are talking about is Soooooo confusing.

This one seems easy enough. I want to try ecigs but reading this thread has given me the head staggers. So I'm going for a real smoke now!

http://www.smokegreen.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

I have tried lots of e-cigs and all are good really, but if I could only have one I would pick this Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/aio.htm

something like this maybe? all you'd need after that is a bit of juice and then youn just need to buy replacement cartomisers and more juice as you need to

the problem with the smokegreens is that they have a proprietary connection so you can only ever use their own brand cartomisers, which end up being quite a bit more expensive in the long run than buying blank carts + bottles of juice seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Has anyone any opinion on THESE e.cigs? See link below.

All the other stuff you are talking about is Soooooo confusing.

This one seems easy enough. I want to try ecigs but reading this thread has given me the head staggers. So I'm going for a real smoke now!

http://www.smokegreen.ie/

I feel your pain. I started out with Greensmoke and combined with a course of patches they did the job. I'm off cigarettes six months now. However, like Sir Digby says Grrensmokes are restrictive and I got bored with them so came on here and was totally bamboozled with cartos, PVs, PCCs, clearos etc. But I stuck with it and followed suggestions and get a much more satisfying experience now. I've built up different bits of kit so all I need to buy now is mostly juices. Start with Greensmoke by all means as it is a simple option but come back here when you get fed up with them. It's worth taking the time to learn about alternatives.

jakdublin wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I started out with Greensmoke and combined with a course of patches they did the job. I'm off cigarettes six months now. However, like Sir Digby says Grrensmokes are restrictive and I got bored with them so came on here and was totally bamboozled with cartos, PVs, PCCs, clearos etc. But I stuck with it and followed suggestions and get a much more satisfying experience now. I've built up different bits of kit so all I need to buy now is mostly juices. Start with Greensmoke by all means as it is a simple option but come back here when you get fed up with them. It's worth taking the time to learn about alternatives.

Thanks for the info. Congrats on staying off the cigs.

I really want to quit, and the e cig sounds great.

Anyone know what strength I'd need?

Shamefully a 20 a day Rothman addict for years.

2.4 is the highest strength on the e Greens, so I suppose that's the one to go for.

Will I get a good hit when I inhale?

Sorry, am an addict, and afraid of no smoking but don't want to, IYKWIM!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

24mg should keep the longings at bay, you can cut down later.
    Regretfully maybe, no need to be ashamed here, we're all recovering.
    2.4 is the highest strength on the e Greens, so I suppose that's the one to go for.
    Thats what I said :)
    I'll let you find out ;)

KnowExactlyWhatYouMean. About the hit when you inhale! if you dont fall down coughing I'll be surprised. Go easy at first, remember you didn't start on 20 cigs a day and going straight to vaping the equivalent is rough on the throaty, little by little and youll have no problems but if you start by chain vaping (I did) the nic will make you a bit queasy, that and the clearing of the cig tar n toxins is quite a surprise. After a week it's plain sailing and you'll smell stuff you never knew was their.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

If your going to go with Greensmoke, I would go for the highest 24mg cartridges, go for the strongest and if you find them too strong you can always go down to 16mg. If you go for a lower strength you might not get the full effect and go back on the fags again. Or when you order carts, get a 24 and a 16mg and see which suits your taste and longings best.

I used these to get off the fags and it worked, but the batteries are awful and wont last pissing more than a month or so, 2 if your lucky, and you will need at least 3 or 4 to last you the day my prefered cart was the coffee but I have just seen on the website they only come in 16mg max strength now, so try a few packs of them and a few 24 in tobacco. As for good hit, you will get a nice good 30 minutes to an hour of good hits, before the cart and battery start to lose flavour and charge, that's the big problem with small sized batteries and carts but you will have to percy with it if your going to go for a SG set up.

Eventually you will probably want something with a bit more power and longer battery life (thats when the fun starts and the big bills on the credit card)

What I would recommend but it is a good bit more expensive is this device (Ovale Elips C), finding it a very good vaping tool, packs a good punch and very small and easy to carry around. Not quite on par with my Provari but very handy for the pub and when out and about or at work.
    http://www.ovaleireland.com/products.php?view=productPage&product=18&category=

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

I was on 40 a day 10weeks ago. I got these greensmokes and took to them straight away. They give me what i crave- nicotine and no ****e. I feel much better and i've saved a bundle. And i notice i'm using it less and less. well worth a go. about 2e a day instead of 20 odd? No contest.

Advertisement