Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are these worth/ will these be worth anything

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

All depends on their condition and what you're paying for them with regards to them being an investment....i dont like reselling my own stuff though... hoarding the hell out my back issues

Thwip! wrote: »
    All depends on their condition and what you're paying for them with regards to them being an investment....i dont like reselling my own stuff though... hoarding the hell out my back issues

there are all in mint cond. all in plastic all the time.

i got the tnmt one in 1990 i think and is as new. its a cool comic. most of it is in b&w

the youngest comic is 12 yrs old.

i only bought them cos they were 1st eds. not big into comics tbh.

just wondering whether they were worth holding onto or should i sell up now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

At a guess, the only one with a significant chance of fetching much more than cover price is the TNMT issue, and that will depend on availability & demand.

For most superhero stuff, only titles from the Golden Age (up to mid-1950s) and Silver Age (mid-1950s to ~1970) are likely to be of particular value - in part because of their greater relevance in terms of subsequent cultural impact (first appearance of Spider-Man/Fantastic Four/Galactus etc) and in part because of their rarity.

Anything published in the 90s from Marvel or DC will, most likely, fetch less than cover price - in part because the late 80s and early 90s saw Marvel in particular flood the comics marketplace with far more copies of almost all their titles than would be justified by demand (eg tons of variant covers, relaunching titles just to get a new #1 issue), and in part because very few comics from that era are now considered to be particularly good.

Fysh wrote: »
    At a guess, the only one with a significant chance of fetching much more than cover price is the TNMT issue, and that will depend on availability & demand.

For most superhero stuff, only titles from the Golden Age (up to mid-1950s) and Silver Age (mid-1950s to ~1970) are likely to be of particular value - in part because of their greater relevance in terms of subsequent cultural impact (first appearance of Spider-Man/Fantastic Four/Galactus etc) and in part because of their rarity.

Anything published in the 90s from Marvel or DC will, most likely, fetch less than cover price - in part because the late 80s and early 90s saw Marvel in particular flood the comics marketplace with far more copies of almost all their titles than would be justified by demand (eg tons of variant covers, relaunching titles just to get a new #1 issue), and in part because very few comics from that era are now considered to be particularly good.
    Although i have seen one or two of that spider-man one float around ebay for 20 something euro which is an okay return if you only paid cover price or a little over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

The TMNT one might be worth something. All the others not really worth anything, should be able to pick 'em up for a pittance on eBay/comic shop back issue racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I thought X-men 57 might have been worth a couple of euro over the cover price since it is a significant issue in X-Men continuity, but it turns out the average price for it is a dollar.

No offence to the OP but it looks like sticking 'Collectors issue' in the top corner is a marketing strategy that works.

Like those Astonishing reprints

Tbh i used to have to wait 40 mins for a bus to go home from work yrs ago and there was a comic shop beside the stop so i used to browse. Im not into comics as such just chacing my arm. Maybe in 50 yrs theyll be worth something!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's always hard to tell with these things.

The problem is that scarcity is the biggest driver - it's no good "just" having an issue that turns out to be significant or important, you also need there to be a lot of demand that can't be met, and you don't get that with the collector-oriented marketplace of today. (Back when action comics #1 came out, it was commonplace for comics to be read a couple of times then chucked in the bin or used to line the birdcage or suchlike - hence the scarcity that led to decent-condition issues being worth loads of money decades later. Whereas today a massive proportion of printed copies of any given comic go to collecting-oriented customers, meaning that there's no scarcity).

• Advertisement
Advertisement