Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I delete Windows for Ubuntu?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,
    Recently, I bought a HP Laptop. I've been a Mac user for several years but took the cheaper option and got a HP laptop.

I don't like Windows. I Installed Ubuntu with Dual Boot and I really like it. But I'm considering deleting Windows in favour of Linux, so I have more memory and RAM.

What your opinion on this? I know I won't be able to run some apps. The main ones I use that I'd need to be able to run are the Adobe Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, ect, and games like Team Fortress 2 and Skyrim.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

1) deleting Windows won't give you more RAM, it just frees up storage
    2) Steam is soon coming to Ubuntu, and may help - but there's no guarantee your games will work any time soon (if ever) under Linux.
    3) you could investigate Wine or crossfire to get windows compatibility under linux, but do your research before making a final decision. There are no drop-in replacements for the adobe suite on Linux, so if you need access to them be prepared to spend a potentially significant amount of time getting them working. (You could try using GIMP, Inkscape, and Scribus, but I highly doubt you'd find them suitable for professional use).

Long story short, unless you desperately need the extra storage and dont actually need to use the Windows-Only software you mentioned, i'd stick with the dual-boot setup and spend a bit of time learning how to make Windows function in a way more to your liking.

What specifically are you finding you don't like about Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Rory, what Fysh says is very good advice, unless you're stuck for disk space, leave Windows where it is.

21/25

Advertisement