Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I delete Windows for Ubuntu?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,
    Recently, I bought a HP Laptop. I've been a Mac user for several years but took the cheaper option and got a HP laptop.

I don't like Windows. I Installed Ubuntu with Dual Boot and I really like it. But I'm considering deleting Windows in favour of Linux, so I have more memory and RAM.

What your opinion on this? I know I won't be able to run some apps. The main ones I use that I'd need to be able to run are the Adobe Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, ect, and games like Team Fortress 2 and Skyrim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hello,
    Recently, I bought a HP Laptop. I've been a Mac user for several years but took the cheaper option and got a HP laptop.

I don't like Windows. I Installed Ubuntu with Dual Boot and I really like it. But I'm considering deleting Windows in favour of Linux, so I have more memory and RAM.

What your opinion on this? I know I won't be able to run some apps. The main ones I use that I'd need to be able to run are the Adobe Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, ect, and games like Team Fortress 2 and Skyrim.

You cannot run Windows apps on Linux, just as you cannot run MAC apps on Windows.

You should investigate Linux alternatives to the apps.
    Keep an eye on games from 'Steam for Linux' .... they are in beta for releases at present.

Having a dual boot system does not affect the amount of memory/ram that is available to the operating system.

IMO, there is no need to get rid of Windows.
    It does no harm ...... just confine it to as small a partition as you can manage.

It will then be there should it be required ..... if you wish to re-sell the device in the future for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu on numerous occasions in the past and have had no end of grief in terms of drivers, wireless cards etc. I basically gave up and returned to Windows.
    5+ months ago i installed Linux Mint on the home laptop and couldn't be more pleased. Installed with no problems at all and has been running fine ever since.

Even the wife who isn't a tech head and who uses Windows at work on a daily basis doesn't have any complaints.

You don't need to remove Windows. Just re-partition the disk, keep your existing Windows installation, assign a reasonable amount of space to it and install Linux on another partition for a dual boot system.

That way you can run your Windows-only apps when you need them.

Also, try a few flavours of linux bfore you make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

If you will do as said above, adjust Grub to load ubuntu as default, wait time 1 or 2 sec, you wont even notice you have another system installed.
    I'm considering dumping Windows completely since I found my karaoke player got ported to Linux :D . (Well, the only app needs Windows machine is Sony Vegas for me)
    And good luck within Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Hello,

The adobe suite isent on ubuntu and wont ever be unless a massive swing in popularity - And i cant see it happing to the extent they port adobe suite considering they have drop flash support ( dont worry , i wont effect videos if you switch)

Team fortress 2 is on linux but it is a restricted beta at the momnet. It is in the working and shall be out to the wider public hopefully before the end of this year.
    Skyrim , there is no plans of yet , but valve enthusiams to linux may encourage a port of futher releases.

As mentioned above , i think in your case having the windows partion wont do any harm. But i would incourage you to use team fortress 2 on steam for linux instead of windows when it comes out. It will bring about futher relases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I use Linux exclusively for everything else but still keep windows around for games. I have a 1TB hard drive and give Windows 200GB of that. Aside from that, one system has no impact on the other.

For anything else you might occasionally need from Windows (outside of games and other very resource heavy apps), running Windows-within-Linux using VirtualBox is often good enough, depending on your system, and no need to reboot.

Also, as someone mentioned above, I too found Linux Mint much easier to get setup and work with. Their 'Cinnamon' desktop environment is quite nice too. Not really a fan of Ubuntu's Uninty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

You cannot run Windows apps on Linux, just as you cannot run MAC apps on Windows.

WINE? www.winehq.org/
    http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hacuna Matata

Delete the Windows partition, install Virtualbox and run the virtual machine whenever you want to work on the Windows-specific programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It will then be there should it be required ..... if you wish to re-sell the device in the future for instance.

You should absolutely not be selling your system in the future without, at a minimum, a full format of your hard disk and a reinstall of the os unless you want to hand somebody the keys to any personal information on the hard disk. Personally I would sell the laptop sans the drive :)

As for the dual boot option I would suggest investigating the alternatives to the software you require. You may find some work while others are not mature enough for your needs. Personally I haven't booted into my Windows system in over 3 years, but have on occasion brought up Virtualbox if I needed to do something in Windows.

Best of luck finding something that fits your personal needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Delete the Windows partition, install Virtualbox and run the virtual machine whenever you want to work on the Windows-specific programs.

By virtue of the manner in which the OP has worded his query, I would think that running Wine or VirtualBox may not be something he would be comfortable with.

I think the best course of action would be to try out a live CD/USB, see what you think and then dual boot. At least you can then revert back to Windows for the software that does not run under Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

The OP already said that he has a dual boot system in place. He is just wondering whether he should remove windows entirely.

Personally, I would leave windows where it is as there is always going to be an app that can't run in WINE or a VM.

They only thing Windows will be doing when not booted up is using up HDD space. It won't take up any of your RAM. So unless you are really stuck for HDD space, leave it be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

d31b0y wrote: »
    They only thing Windows will be doing when not booted up is using up HDD space. It won't take up any of your RAM. So unless you are really stuck for HDD space, leave it be.
    and you can shrink the partition
    or access files on it from linux - multimedia and stuff

Hard drive space is very cheap - reinstalling windows all over again on a linux system and fixing the boot and patching etc. - just isn't worth it if there is any chance you'd need to use again - windows can be handy to access some hardware where the vendor hasn't released enough details to enable a open source driver to be written by third parties

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't see any real advantage to removing Windows in your case. If you use the entire Adobe suite you need Windows (or MacOS), no two ways about it. All you would gain is disk space and that's not at a premium.

Advertisement