Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone insurance claim denied

Options
  • 07-11-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I had my phone stolen off me while I was traveling at the weekend and I followed all of the guidelines of reporting it to the police and having the sim blocked within 24hours. I got a print off from the police and I was told that is what I would need for the insurance company and as it has a crime reference at the top I had assumed that it was correct as it was in German I couldn't read it. Today the insurance company have told me that its not sufficient as there is no date on it or an IMEI number and value for the device. I was told i need to get a full report from them with all of the details and Im not sure thats going to be possible now as Im back home and my claim is going to be denied if I dont have this in the next few days. Do i have any options available to me to force the issue?

I cant get my head around the fact that the insurance company has no way of checking to see if a police report is genuine or not all they need to do is ring and ask about my crime reference number but they wont.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Not for a phone. But have been given the run-around so many times with insurance companies I really doubt the value of insurance for something like phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

What insurance company is it/ what network?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The IMEI and value are on the receipt for your phone, If you don't have them the shop where you got it will be able to print you a new one, that should do for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Its with the insurance comapany that three use pierinsurance. Ya I have all of the original receipts but they are disputing the police report I have. As its in german and there is no date on it or a description of the phone. It just says pickpocketed mobile device. With the amount of phones Ive seem mates of mine lose in taxies and have replaced within a day or two I'm regretting not just using that line on them when I got home

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Its with the insurance comapany that three use pierinsurance. Ya I have all of the original receipts but they are disputing the police report I have. As its in german and there is no date on it or a description of the phone. It just says pickpocketed mobile device. With the amount of phones Ive seem mates of mine lose in taxies and have replaced within a day or two I'm regretting not just using that line on them when I got home

Could you not go to a local police station, explain your story, and ask if they will provide you with one?

• Advertisement

Ya I actually asked the insurance crowd about that and they said no its not going to be within the 24 hours of when it happened and Ive already told them what happened. I actually went in to see if they could get access to a german police report and when I explained my situation the guard pretty much told me to knock one together myself of to edit the one I have to include the correct details.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 locked up

Ya I actually asked the insurance crowd about that and they said no its not going to be within the 24 hours of when it happened and Ive already told them what happened. I actually went in to see if they could get access to a german police report and when I explained my situation the guard pretty much told me to knock one together myself of to edit the one I have to include the correct details.

do as you're told :D......i was gonna suggest the same!

no if I was gonna go down that route Id probably just withdraw my claim then wait a few weeks and claim again but this time make sure its for something they pay out on. If I had known I wasnt really covered for theft I wouldnt have bought the policy in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

no if I was gonna go down that route Id probably just withdraw my claim then wait a few weeks and claim again but this time make sure its for something they pay out on. If I had known I wasnt really covered for theft I wouldnt have bought the policy in the first place

You are covered for theft. They just have strict requirements for proof. Same thing as signing up for a contract. You need to provide proofs that meet the requirements of the network.

All of this should be listed on the policy documentation you received. If it is not, then you can try and fight your corner on that one.

Advertisement