Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows or Android?

Options
  • 07-11-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm thinking about getting either the Nokia Lumia 800 or the HTC Desire X, one being a Windows phone and the other Android. I don't know dam all about either OS or smartphones for that matter, so which should I get?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 weatherfish

Go for the Nokia Ive been using windows 7 phone for the past year and found it a really great phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Go into a shop and ask to play around with both models, the real ones not the fake ones they have on display. See which one you find more intuitive and easiest to use. Don't pick one just because some random guy on the internet told you to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have a look on youtube, many vids there shows instructionals of either phone model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Fizz

biko wrote: »
    Have a look on youtube, many vids there shows instructionals of either phone model.

I've been looking on youtube alright, it's a good place to see the actual phone in use, but I still don't know which is the better of the two. I suppose it's preference really.. The reason why I asked was I often hear people say "stay away from Windows, Android is the way to go!".

So I suppose the last thing I want to do is get the Lumia and then all of a sudden it's "an out-of-date phone".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A friend has the Nokia and it's a great phone, really solid and the screen is very good.
    I'm just not a Windows fan but suppose that could change since I went from symbian to ios to android and have liked them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's really just personal preference.

Android is more customisable, you can have complete control over how the phone looks and behaves. And it's easier to root and to load custom ROMs. It also has many more apps available.

Windows, in my opinion looks better, is more fluid and responsive, has great integration with social networking built into the OS, and works really well with Microsoft stuff (Office, Xbox Live etc). It has far less apps available, but does have most of the important ones or equivalents.

In short I think that if you want a phone that just works well, and also handles common smartphone stuff like email, web browsing, document editing and a few apps, then I'd suggest Windows Phone. If you want a more full featured infinitely tweakable mobile computing experience then Android might me the way to go.

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's really just personal preference.

Android is more customisable, you can have complete control over how the phone looks and behaves. And it's easier to root and to load custom ROMs. It also has many more apps available.

Windows, in my opinion looks better, is more fluid and responsive, has great integration with social networking built into the OS, and works really well with Microsoft stuff (Office, Xbox Live etc). It has far less apps available, but does have most of the important ones or equivalents.

In short I think that if you want a phone that just works well, and also handles common smartphone stuff like email, web browsing, document editing and a few apps, then I'd suggest Windows Phone. If you want a more full featured infinitely tweakable mobile computing experience then Android might me the way to go.

Thanks for that insight. I didn't know anything about either OS, now I know a bit which helps.. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Buck Fizz wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm thinking about getting either the Nokia Lumia 800 or the HTC Desire X, one being a Windows phone and the other Android. I don't know dam all about either OS or smartphones for that matter, so which should I get?

Thanks

If it's on Vodafone prepay then the Nokia Lumia is much better value for 169.99e then the Desire X for 229.99.

You can also get 20e off those prices if you get a free sim card from another network and switch it over to Vodafone.

manu2009 wrote: »
    If it's on Vodafone prepay then the Nokia Lumia is much better value for 169.99e then the Desire X for 229.99.

You can also get 20e off those prices if you get a free sim card from another network and switch it over to Vodafone.

Ya that's what I plan on doing, "changing over from meteor" for about the 10th time!! :D I had planned on getting the Desire X because at 210euro it seems very good value but it's only in feckin' white... And then I saw this morn that the Lumia 800 dropped about 300euro in price, that's what got me interested in that phone..

If the desire X was in black on their online shop I'd buy it, but it doesn't seem they will be stocking black. So I'd say I'll get the Lumia 800, just wanted to see 1st what people thought of it. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The lumina 800 won't get any more updates and the new version of windows phone (8) is out now.

This probably won't bother you if you're not big into apps. Android appstore is much better too. But you can't argue with the good looks of the phone and the UI with the lumina 800.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Have used windows phone for over a year and a half at this stage.

And I think it's great. It's very simple to use, great UI and is very fast. As for apps...there's pretty much none. It's very sparse. But I don't use many so it doesn't bother me.

I'd be very tempted to go for the Nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

EGriff wrote: »
    The lumina 800 won't get any more updates and the new version of windows phone (8) is out now.

This probably won't bother you if you're not big into apps. Android appstore is much better too. But you can't argue with the good looks of the phone and the UI with the lumina 800.

They Lumia will be getting an update to Windows 7.8 sometime early in they new year.
    Looks wise, it will be fairly identical to Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

gman2k wrote: »
    They Lumia will be getting an update to Windows 7.8 sometime early in they new year.
    Looks wise, it will be fairly identical to Windows 8.

and will continue to be updated/supported for another 18 months. Get your facts right EGriff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Jeez, give me a break. It won't get Windows phone 8 is what I meant. I forgot all about WP 7.8. I assume new apps that aren't on WP at the moment will be developed for WP8 too so the Lumia 800 won't get them.

Still a cool phone though, I'm not trying to knock it at all. Personally I'd pick it over the desire X any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

EGriff wrote: »
    Jeez, give me a break. It won't get Windows phone 8 is what I meant. I forgot all about WP 7.8. I assume new apps that aren't on WP at the moment will be developed for WP8 too so the Lumia 800 won't get them.

Still a cool phone though, I'm not trying to knock it at all. Personally I'd pick it over the desire X any day.

No. No breaks. Get it right first time or else :D

Advertisement