Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious Btea Issue

Options
  • 07-11-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

Ok long story short im in 2nd year at UCC. After Xmas we are expected to go on placement for 12 weeks. I am living at home in tipperary due to financial constraints and the lecturers expect me to be able to get to cork daily before 9 for placement. there is no method of transport that can get me there on time for work placement and they are not willing to let me do it near my hometown so i am left with no option but to leave or fail. i have tried speaking with them but they will not budge on it (despite letting one such student travel halfway across europe but thats another story)

Now I have looked into short term courses like the ncef and was wondering if my BTEA could be retained if i decided to undertake it at the end of january. I would ony be 18 weeks. Advice needed on this as it is a tricky situation. It says on there site the following

1.14.8 Drop out of course

A BTEA participant who fails to complete, or drops out of a course will not be permitted on to the scheme to pursue a different course unless the Department is satisfied that certain circumstances pertain. The condition may be waived where there are mitigating circumstances, for which evidence must be provided, that would make it unreasonable to expect a person to have continued the course. Recovery of amounts paid may be considered.

Could somebody shed some light on this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

It's 12 weeks only. Can you rent any accommodation? Ask your Social Office, HSE, Student Union, Friends for help. Anything, just do not drop out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Dores wrote: »
    It's 12 weeks only. Can you rent any accommodation? Ask your Social Office, HSE, Student Union, Friends for help. Anything, just do not drop out!

Ive been asking but I seem to be banging my head against the wall :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you looked for temporary accomodation adjacent to your work placement or not :confused:

They have no told me where it will be yet and like previously stated I cannot afford accommodation anyway due to financial constraints & pre existing loans etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I really can't see your BTEA being retained under these circumstances. You would need to have exhausted every avenue, loan applications, VdeP etc, even then you would be relying on having a very very lenient deciding officer as the qualification is lower on the framework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jasonpat

If you are not getting the job after 12 months then it is very bad thing for your future.

VdeP?? what is ths?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

VdeP is St Vincent de Paul.

How are you making your classes right now? I don't understand how you can make it into UCC but not make it in for a work placement?

because my lectures do not start until late most days.. i have 2 10 o clocks which i don't make as the train doesn't arrive in Kent until 9.50. with placement i need to be there about 8.45.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Have you tried asking the company with which you are doing the placement if there is any possibility of changing the working hours? For example if you start work at 10, and work later in the evening?

As for your question about the NCEF course, I don't think this course is even covered under the BTEA option as it doesn't lead to a full FETAC award.

• Advertisement

They havent assigned me a place yet and the hours are extremely strict due to the nature of the work. I would only be more than happy to oblige if that was the case

Advertisement