Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transporting Vehical using a Low Loader - Guide

Options
  • 07-11-2012 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any written guide on how to correctly transport a heavy vehical using a Low Loader ?

Which shows the correct way to secure the load, how to load it, etc.

Need it for a small contract that i am tendering for in UK, but will take me all week to come up with one from scratch.

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any written guide on how to correctly transport a heavy vehical using a Low Loader ?

Which shows the correct way to secure the load, how to load it, etc.

Need it for a small contract that i am tendering for in UK, but will take me all week to come up with one from scratch.

Jo

Watch Ice Road truckers. Or use the the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Del2005 wrote: »
    Watch Ice Road truckers. Or use the the internet

goodman! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

I might be way off the mark saying this but if u have to ask them kinda questions,should you be tendering for that kind of work????????

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Ideally, you need to pull it in four different directions, from each corner of the plant.

If its a heavy roller say, then there'll be hook points or areas on the chassis of the machine where you can hook your CHAINS. If you can drive the machine up to the step of the low loader (where it steps up over the back of the tractor unit) then do that coz it can go nowhere if you have to brake hard.

If its a farm tractor, then the done thing is to just use truck straps up and over the wheels but a tractor really should be chained I think, due to the weight of the thing.

If its a big hunk of a piece of general machinery, you want to be getting as much of the main chassis of the thing in contact with the floor of the loader using blocks of timber if needed. In fact thats an important point, steel on steel is bad when cornering, and will test your method of securing the load to the limit, its good if transporting machinery on a steel floor to have timber packers or plywood in between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Have a look at the UK Trucking Forum - www.trucknetuk.com
    I've used it over the years and I'm sure you will find the info you need there (or you could post your question there...just correct the word 'vehical' to 'vehicle'!;) )

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

fastrac94 wrote: »
    I might be way off the mark saying this but if u have to ask them kinda questions,should you be tendering for that kind of work????????

yes, you are way off the mark.

who has time to sit down and write about how to load and unload a low loader - id obviously try to get it handy somewhere!

would you sit down and start writing it from scratch if you needed one! if so, youv got tooo much time on your hands

Advertisement