Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colorado votes to legalise the weed

Options
  • 07-11-2012 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

This will be very interesting in how it plays out. It will have to be written into state law but will still be illegal at federal level. I don't know exactly what it means, perhaps state cops won't arrest you for possession but the Feds will. Regardless it is a historic result for worldwide legalization campaign, it is the first state in the US to completely legalise Marijuana for recreational use and one of the only regions in the world to do so.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/06/amendment-64-passes-in-co_n_2079899.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

i believe washington state will pass the same..

they reckon it may lead to a relaxation in local police forces searching/charging with personal posession but there's a long legal battle in it before states can license distributors to sell it.. Obama may be more bullish on his liberal agenda at a federal level now that he is in a second term though & may help push it along with gay marriage etc.. if he gets to replace a couple of conservative judges off the supreme court it may help.. there are 4 septuagenarians, 2 liberal & 2 conservative any of which could retire during his term..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,895 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/Measures/2012/

WA: confirmed. Legalized MJ

OR: Likely to vote No

MT: Will likely vote to reform law on Medical MJ

CO: Likely to vote to legalize

ND: Actually has passed a smoking ban..

AK: Probably voting no

MA: Confirmed. Legalized for Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

This is why I love Washington State. And many many other reasons, but the people there are ****ing amazing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's especially interesting that there are 7 (8 at a stretch) states bordering Colorado, and state borders are broadly (damn near completely) unpoliced. Meaning lots of Marijuana stores popping up near the borders, and a quick legality spread outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,895 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is why I love Washington State. And many many other reasons, but the people there are ****ing amazing. :)
    I'm from WA. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I can imagine big-pharma and the alcohol industry mobilising to nip this permissive lunacy in the bud.
    DUCWIDT?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Raphael wrote: »
    It's especially interesting that there are 7 (8 at a stretch) states bordering Colorado, and state borders are broadly (damn near completely) unpoliced. Meaning lots of Marijuana stores popping up near the borders, and a quick legality spread outwards.

Speaking as a resident of a neighbouring state
    Yay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OzDoody

This is a foot in the door for the rest of the world...a few years ago when it wasn't completely legal anywhere in the world, legalizing would have been unimaginable...now that it is actually legal somewhere people may start to second guess themselves unless they have they're head too firmly stuck up their own arse..now's the time to get a push on for legalization...Chuffed :D

OzDoody wrote: »
    This is a foot in the door for the rest of the world...a few years ago when it wasn't completely legal anywhere in the world, legalizing would have been unimaginable...now that it is actually legal somewhere people may start to second guess themselves unless they have they're head too firmly stuck up their own arse..now's the time to get a push on for legalization...Chuffed :D

In the Czech Republic from 1989 through to 2000 and then from 2010 onwards all drugs were decriminalised.

Portugal also decriminalised all drugs in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OzDoody

OP what this means is the same as what's happening with the dispensaries in California etc..Its legal on a state level but the DEA which is federally run plan and invade and confiscate the marijuana...this is because although its legal in state law from a federal standpoint a medical marijuana dispensary is merely a well organized illegal operation...but Im hoping they leave well alone in Colorado although I know better than that..
    MadsL wrote: »
    In the Czech Republic from 1989 through to 2000 and then from 2010 onwards all drugs were decriminalised.

Portugal also decriminalised all drugs in 2001.

Decriminalization is different from legalization, I live in Chicago at the moment where its recently become decriminalized...I still cant smoke infront of a cop...whereas with legalization I could..ll it means is that if you have a small enough amount on you when you are caught you dont have a criminal record due to this but you still get fined and your weed is confiscated...living in decriminalization feels no different than living here when it was illegal..I just wont be sent to jail when Im caught

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Overheal wrote: »

You're the best, OH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Groovy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Another sign that sanity may be about to break out in the USA.:):):)

And now Mile High Stadium in Denver will really be able to live up to its name.;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

So is my ex, I visited, I loved the place. I would happily have stayed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It's still against federal law....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This news makes me think of the late John Denver song "Rocky Mountain High." :-D

Expect a battle between the states and the federal govt over this - ironically when it suits them, right wing Republicans always bleat on about how the rights of individual states to legislate as they see fit are sacrosanct.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I can imagine big-pharma and the alcohol industry mobilising to nip this permissive lunacy in the bud.
    DUCWIDT?
    yes sweet sticky bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

That'll grate on Hickenloopers nerves anyway :) He has always been anti weed in his state. While I agree with him on many issues I would be glad to see him fall on his face for that one.

UCDVet wrote: »
    It's still against federal law....

Someone needs to remind Obama if he got busted in college for his publicly admitted drug use he would not be President.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Oh, well that changes everything.. :pac:
    OzDoody wrote: »
    Decriminalization is different from legalization, I live in Chicago at the moment where its recently become decriminalized...I still cant smoke infront of a cop...whereas with legalization I could..ll
    I think even if it is fully legalised you could see public smoking made illegal along the same lines as drinking in public, which is no harm really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

One thread is enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement