Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check this out for Bureaucratic Word Salad

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

I understood it. Are you 6 OP?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

yes I understood he was basically saying "we found a site next to an existing hospital" - I don't need this tosser to state it with lavish word salad to justify his collosal salary and expenses package thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Well, everyone knows Dolphins communicate in a manner close to humans. They just chuck in a few extra clicks and whistles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Like if you want to save the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Word salad...

Mmm.

Salad.

• Advertisement

com'on now nobody likes salad really.

A word kebab, or cheeseburger yes,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I prefer alphabetti spaghetti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

yes I understood he was basically saying "we found a site next to an existing hospital" - I don't need this tosser to state it with lavish word salad to justify his collosal salary and expenses package thank you very much.

Funnily just by using the phrase "word salad" you made yourself sound like a much bigger tosser than he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I hate buisness speak like this. I know someone working at a company where they have 'Solution Architects' i.e. people who sort sh*t out....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I wonder was he called Flipper in school?

• Advertisement

What words should he have used instead of the ones he did?

What he said doesn't equate to "we found a site next to an existing hospital".

summerskin wrote: »
    Funnily just by using the phrase "word salad" you made yourself sound like a much bigger tosser than he did.

Yes, but not being a civil servant I am not bankrupting the economy to be paid to state it.

He said "review group". He died for me after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The use of the word synergies makes it sound wankier than it is. It's a perfectly cromulent sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

How else can he justify his pay salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Half a fooking billion on a simple enough building with a few machines and a few beds in it. Someone is cleaning up out of this anyway. The building itself shouldn't cost more than a couple million and I dunno where the rest of it is going, reckon it could be done a lot cheaper.

But it's "for the children" i suppose, you'd be the fooking antichrist to raise questions about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Word salad is a great way to justify your expensive celery.

eth0 wrote: »
    Half a fooking billion on a simple enough building with a few machines and a few beds in it. Someone is cleaning up out of this anyway. The building itself shouldn't cost more than a couple million and I dunno where the rest of it is going, reckon it could be done a lot cheaper.

But it's "for the children" i suppose, you'd be the fooking antichrist to raise questions about it.

The machines and other equipment could easily account for 2/3 of the overall cost. That stuff doesn't come cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The machines and other equipment could easily account for 2/3 of the overall cost. That stuff doesn't come cheap.

I know they cost a lot but how many of them are overpriced, how many could be got cheaper, how much could be got second hand and do the job just as well? If they really tried their best and weren't lazy ould 'ah sure tis the government that's paying' celtic tiger lads in charge of this I reckon they could have brought the cost down a fair bit. They should have done this because the fact is we don't have 484m thrown around, we don't actually have 1e to spare with the debt we're in and still building up.

Especially when the buyer walks in and announces "Hi, I'm with the Irish Government, and we'd like to buy....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I understood every word he said. And I hated myself for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I presume you are an expert in constructing and equipping hospitals.

It's not just a building like a flat complex. It's more like a manufacturing plant with all the ancillary services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I know they cost a lot but how many of them are overpriced, how many could be got cheaper, how much could be got second hand and do the job just as well?

I'm guessing none. You want the latest technology so that you can adapt it for future procedures that don't exist yet. We want this to be somewhat future proof, not redundant in 5 years.

and why does it cost 21 million to draw up plans and apply for planning permission???????

This needs to be investigated

Pottler wrote: »
    Especially when the buyer walks in and announces "Hi, I'm with the Irish Government, and we'd like to buy....."

and here is your invoice for your machine and a big fcuking brown envelope and a holiday for the family

corrupt kip:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

and why does it cost 21 million to draw up plans and apply for planning permission???????

This needs to be investigated

Why? Its an enormous and hugely complicated project, with I'd imagine an enormous design team. The €21m was the entire design cost for the Mater site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I know they cost a lot but how many of them are overpriced, how many could be got cheaper, how much could be got second hand and do the job just as well? If they really tried their best and weren't lazy ould 'ah sure tis the government that's paying' celtic tiger lads in charge of this I reckon they could have brought the cost down a fair bit. They should have done this because the fact is we don't have 484m thrown around, we don't actually have 1e to spare with the debt we're in and still building up.
    I'd imagine capital expenditure is only part of the cost. It's like when you hear reports in the media bemoaning a lack of 'beds' in hospitals.

Buying second hand equipment might seem like a good idea but in many cases higher maintenance costs mean it isn't cost-effective.

By the way I agree with the statement by Mr. Dolphin. In fact I'd go as far as saying the whole 'Children's Hospital' plan is a gigantic white elephant and unnecessary. I think the government believe sticking the label 'Children' onto departments, referendums, hospitals, etc makes them immune to criticism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

and why does it cost 21 million to draw up plans and apply for planning permission??????? ...
    VAT. The answer is VAT. Imagine, they're charging VAT on children. Has this government with it's national fondlers handlers no shame? Down with this sort of thing. BOOH!

Advertisement