Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell from back of fridge freezer....is it dead/dying...

Options
  • 06-11-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Have a problem to which I admit to being clueless....over the last 2 days my fridge freezer has progressively began to smell to the point where it is now stinking. It's the actual back of the fridge/freezer itself and not something rotting behind it before someone suggests same! I'd rather not shell out for a new one but obviously I will if it's on its last legs.

From memory it's 6 years old this month so maybe it's just dying?! All cables/piping/tubes etc are fully connected so I don't think that's it - but as I said I'm pretty clueless in this area so it could be something to do with those.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you look inside the fridge at the back down low you'll see a little drain hole, clean it out with a cotton bud or something similar.
    Pull out the fridge and you will see a little evaporater tray sitting on top of the motor, clean this out as well.
    This setup is the auto defrost on the fridge, the smell is caused by meat juices which have drained into the evaporater.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

aujopimur wrote: »
    If you look inside the fridge at the back down low you'll see a little drain hole, clean it out with a cotton bud or something similar.
    Pull out the fridge and you will see a little evaporater tray sitting on top of the motor, clean this out as well.
    This setup is the auto defrost on the fridge, the smell is caused by meat juices which have drained into the evaporater.

Thanks! Will try that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Thanks again for that, it looks like it has worked......thoigh was a horrible job to clean it out!

Advertisement