Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as January sales on Apple products?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an Apple MacBook Pro for Christmas although the price is scary:eek:

Will there be discounts in January?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Retailers' margins on Apple products are tiny. I know one mail-order company that made more profit on the carriage than on the product! So I don't think you'll see any reduction except that older models might be sold off at a loss to get rid.

Retailers usually have room for manoeuvre only on peripherals. So if you buy a printer, scanner etc. at the same time, you might make an overall saving. However, I suspect this isn't what you are after.

Your best bet might be to keep an eye on the Apple "Refurbished" store or buy with student discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Liameter wrote: »
    Retailers' margins on Apple products are tiny. I know one mail-order company that made more profit on the carriage than on the product! So I don't think you'll see any reduction except that older models might be sold off at a loss to get rid.

Retailers usually have room for manoeuvre only on peripherals. So if you buy a printer, scanner etc. at the same time, you might make an overall saving. However, I suspect this isn't what you are after.

Your best bet might be to keep an eye on the Apple "Refurbished" store or buy with student discount.

Won't they require an actual student card? (Something I regret not getting last year!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The online Apple store usually does a bit of a sale on Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving in the US, and traditionally the busiest shopping day of the year over there. It's November 23 this year. I recall getting about €100 off a MacBook Pro a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Usually you see student pricing for everyone on Black Friday (nov 23rd this year) but sometimes a tiny bit more. Also a good day to buy accessories.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just get a refurb. The discount is more than the student one and its available all year round.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

• Advertisement

Just get a refurb. The discount is more than the student one and its available all year round.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Funny enough I was checking out the refurb side of the store yesterday, and saw one reduced by E320. Then after I was tipped here to try the student discount, I went in again, and in the refurb section the discount showed up as LESS:confused::confused: In other words the student discount doesn't apply to refurb products. It would give me a discount of E118 on a MacBook Pro 15" 2.3ghz tho......

I will probably do a refurb buy, and now just to make the decision of 13" or 15", big price difference, but I feel I will only regret getting the 13" so am leaning towards the 15".........

Have another question:

This is confusing so could someone clarify the difference please?

8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage

15-inch: 2.3GHz
    with Retina display
    2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage1
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    In Stock
    Free Delivery
    €2,349.00
    Includes VAT of approx. €439.00.*

See http://www.glodark.com/computer.htm
    Memory is volatile.
    Flash storage is non-volatile (like a USB "stick".)

Liameter wrote: »
    See http://www.glodark.com/computer.htm
    Memory is volatile.
    Flash storage is non-volatile (like a USB "stick".)

Great link, thanks so much, but still a bit confused as to the flash storage part - is this built into the laptop (part of the hard drive so to speak, and used as temporary memory):o

My guess is that the 256GB flash storage replaces the usual internal Hard Drive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement