Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Lights in Limerick

Options
  • 06-11-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

As the lights are due to be turned on next Friday the 16th in Limerick city centre do people think its a bit too early ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

AaronJack wrote: »
    As the lights are due to be turned on next Friday the 16th in Limerick city centre do people think its a bit too early ?

It is a bit really.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

No earlier than any other year so don't see the harm. The lovely Leanne Moore is switching them on I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1st of December is when they should be turned on.

The City Council believe that turning on of the lights early entices people into the city.
    So that they can cash their gold and buy a kebab!

Pandiani wrote: »
    No earlier than any other year so don't see the harm. The lovely Leanne Moore is switching them on I hear

Just because it was done before does not make it right or even wrong for that matter.

November is just too early to have them lighting at least wait to December 1st.

• Site Banned Posts: 7 Dr SpudZ

Have they been nicked yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dr SpudZ wrote: »
    Have they been nicked yet?

You're a really rubbish troll. Go away.

h3000 wrote: »
    Just because it was done before does not make it right or even wrong for that matter.

November is just too early to have them lighting at least wait to December 1st.

Every other city in Ireland will be turning theirs on in next couple of weeks also so why should Limerick be any different?

Every other city in Ireland will be turning theirs on in next couple of weeks also so why should Limerick be any different?

I don't think they should light theirs either so. I really think November is just too early.

h3000 wrote: »
    I don't think they should light theirs either so. I really think November is just too early.

Fair enough thats your opinion and I respect that but just going back to what I said in my first post its no earlier than any other year so its never going to change:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Bit early in one sense but I'd guess as the City Centre is in direct competition with the cluster of Shopping Centres on the doughnut-ring who have already begun to stick up their Christmas decor it's hard to blame them for lighting up the centre, I'm sure hard put traders will welcome it.

Anyway with the gloomy dark evenings now beginning at 5 or so, why not brighten the place up. Street lighting in town is dour enough at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I like them. Make the city more welcoming. There really is something special about evening shopping in Limerick around xmas. Under the lights, dry cold, scarves and coats, pints in mickeys by the fire. good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AaronJack

Along with Dustin the Turkey, it might entice people into the city but for what there is very little left in the city centre anymore

zuroph wrote: »
    I like them. Make the city more welcoming. There really is something special about evening shopping in Limerick around xmas. Under the lights, dry cold, scarves and coats, pints in mickeys by the fire. good times.

Couldn't have said it better, upper william street will look better than it has done in a long time with all the new lights

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Who selects the celeb to switch on the lights? I've no difficulty with Leanne Moore but Dustin??????? Who thought it was a good idea to have a Turkey help out? Is there no one else that could have been asked.

It would have been nice to recognise someone who has contributed to the city or region, someone like those that were involved in the Local Heros or such like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Even one of the people who represented us in the Olympics would have been a lot more apt than that outdated parody.

phog wrote: »
    Who selects the celeb to switch on the lights? I've no difficulty with Leanne Moore but Dustin??????? Who thought it was a good idea to have a Turkey help out? Is there no one else that could have been asked.

It would have been nice to recognise someone who has contributed to the city or region, someone like those that were involved in the Local Heros or such like.

I would have thought Tina O Gorman, that woman has done so much for charity in the city and doesn't get half the recognition she deserves, she's just passed raising a million euro maybe next year,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Leanne Moore & Dustin are both in this years Christmas panto (Cinderella) so it's a good plug for that.

no1 would bother to come see them. Kids may come out for dustin. Easy call.

Leanne Moore & Dustin are both in this years Christmas panto (Cinderella) so it's a good plug for that.

Is that good enough reason to have them switch on the lights? I wouldn't think so.
    no1 would bother to come see them. Kids may come out for dustin. Easy call.

Are kids into Dustin? I'd have thought he was above that age range. Anyway, kids seldom come to see anyone they are brought there by their parents and I think it's a shame that Limerick see fit to go outside the region to get a "star" to switch on the lights.

Is this organised by the Coordination office?

He's in limerick for the month doing the panto.

• Advertisement

He's in limerick for the month doing the panto.

He's getting well paid for it and that hardly makes him local. Twink is around too should we have at the lighting up ceremony as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Maybe we should ask the great Rich Anton to switch on the lights ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Why cant a local person do it, maybe a child who is unwell or a friend of mine suggested selling tickets like a raffle, and the money raised goes to a local charity.

Why cant a local person do it, maybe a child who is unwell or a friend of mine suggested selling tickets like a raffle, and the money raised goes to a local charity.

It seems we have more value on outsiders than our home grown "celebs".

BTW, there are 3 Pantos being held in the city over Christmas, UL, LIT and the Lime Tree theatres, if the coordination office thought it was a good idea to use characters from one of the Pantos why not get 2 or 3 from each of the 3 pantos and get them to entertain the crowd prior to switching ont he lights. Show off the talent that's available.

Why not give the honour of switching on the lights to the "Local Heros" who are working away tirelessly in the background to give the city some life again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Oh the annual giving out about the xmas lights going on too early thread!

I see we are also giving out about who is switching them on! It should be someone other than a local celeb! My friend richie is growing a mustache and has raised over 1000 quid! He should do it!!!

Damn i hate that I love limerick fella.

I bet that celia hom lee arse will be there also.

At least turning on the lights is worth 2 million to the city.

predictably yours,

The limerick forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Also to the scrooges giving out! Its not too early! I wish they went on last week!

Spread the cheer!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

He's getting well paid for it and that hardly makes him local. Twink is around too should we have at the lighting up ceremony as well?

I'd be on for putting la fishwife on top of the tree for the duration, preferably with her mouth taped shut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Posted by PoxyShamrock:
    1st of December is when they should be turned on.

Agreed. Dec. 1st would be grand for switching them on. When they're switched on mid Nov. some of the impact is lost when December arrives.

These are two photos I took in town last Christmas:

8163844556_0ae9e6aa10_c.jpg

8163804029_20b1473054_c.jpg

December 1st is my birthday, you can't steal that from me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I m glad Leanne is switching the lights on she is a local Lass doing good and is hot hot hot, just hope that I love Limerick gob****e Richard Lynch doesn't try rob the limelight and try get in every photo, but dont you know he will

Advertisement