Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blame and shame in Ireland...

Options
  • 06-11-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Just read this on the BBC and found it quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20207064
    Former US bank regulator and criminologist Prof Bill Black, who was responsible for aiding prosecutors during America's savings and loans crisis of the 1980s, is a regular at Kilkenomics. He would like to see many more financiers in Ireland and beyond prosecuted for what went wrong in the run up to the 2008-9 financial collapse.

And he says one of the reasons more people have not faced prosecution in Ireland is the attitude of the Irish people.
    "The Irish love to blame themselves," Prof Black says. "I have been invited to a bunch of the countries that have come through this crisis to help them and Ireland is really distinctive compared with the rest of the world.
    "In Ireland there is an absolute love affair with guilt in this crisis. You don't see that in Iceland, you don't see that in Spain or in Italy. They all want to blame the largest bankers. But here in Ireland they say, 'well, but, we were guilty too'."

So, should the people of Ireland have stood up and shouted some more? Taken the bankers to task more?

It's helped Iceland, but not Spain. Would it have made a difference here?

I'd have liked to see more public uproar, instead of the level of acceptance and the "sure, it'll be grand" attitude.

ah well, few naggins...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He's absolutely right. A lot of people in Ireland think that bankers played little role in credit regulation because the people who were offered credit had choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tipptopper

Steddyeddy now, posting the same message twice, steddy on boy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

I think there are times in ireland where people just take it all and roll over

I always say fair play to any group that march or do something instead of being rolled over gegardless of the issue.

In some countries they would burn the place down while here we just bitch n moan to eachother about it

Not just the financial crisis but all things

Advertisement