Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on writing and publishing a book about my life?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi guys I am currently writing a book at the moment its based on my life but I want it to be fiction? Its hard to explain but my life is actually unbelievable so many things have happened in the last 22 years its like a mad film. I want to write a book but I have dark deep secrets that I don't want anyone to guess the book is actually based on my life. If anyone can give advice that would be great and also advice on then getting it published thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What do you mean you want it to be fiction? You want people to think it's fiction? You could publish under a pseudonym?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭clarbar

hmmmm if I do under a pseudonym do I still get royalties? yes I want people to think its fiction , if I told the truth and said it was about my life I would be afraid incase of what people thought there is some serious stuff going to be in this book

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Course yeah, plenty of books are published under false names, half the fantasy books I read must be pennames. That's stuff you work out with the publisher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You can write the story, change the names and call it fiction. However, you need to be careful, because in a memoir an absolute defence to accusations of something being unbelieveable is, "It happened and I have these witnesses to verify that it happened."

If you are writing a novel, then everything to make sense and be relevent to the story. Saying, "I can include it because it really happened" is no longer a defence.

Of course, if you just want to write it to have the story of your life, do it whatever way you like. But if you want to publish it, you have to have a structure, beginning, middle, ending, climax and resolution. Plus perfect spelling and grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

EileenG wrote: »
    Of course, if you just want to write it to have the story of your life, do it whatever way you like. But if you want to publish it, you have to have a structure, beginning, middle, ending, climax and resolution. Plus perfect spelling and grammar.

There's always a catch isn't there.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement