Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a lift from Carlow to Dublin during the week

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello,

I'm a UCD student and am finding that the bus fairs are heavily eating in to my pocket. Is there anyone who commutes up to Dublin from Carlow and back during the week?

I have no problems helping out with the petrol and all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

Have you tried the Bus Eireann student 10 journey ticket (€35)?

Seems a reasonable saving compared to buying a daily student return (€12) every day

• Registered Users Posts: 39 the5thace

Yes of course, I'm using the 10 journey tickets for 35 euro but then there is Dublin bus as well and it all ads up to about 55-60 euro per week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭howiya

the5thace wrote: »
    Yes of course, I'm using the 10 journey tickets for 35 euro but then there is Dublin bus as well and it all ads up to about 55-60 euro per week!

Expensive trip! Just said I'd point it out in case you hadn't seen it

howiya wrote: »
    Expensive trip! Just said I'd point it out in case you hadn't seen it
    A yeah thanks howiya... Would have been pretty bad had I not known about those tickets!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Did you try foggy_lad - he does the Carlow - Dublin run frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

parsi wrote: »
    Did you try foggy_lad - he does the Carlow - Dublin run frequently.
    Such comments are unwelcome

Do you know what ?

I don't give a damn.

Nobody gave a fiddlers when Bus Eireann drivers were accused by foggy_lad of pocketing the additional express fare. I reported this scurrilous allegation but to no avail.

Nobody gives a fiddlers when he calls for CIE staff to be sacked without pension rights.

Nobody gives a fiddlers when he gets upset when a "a friend" is asked to prove identity in order to use a golden pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No offence but I don't think this is is overly expensive given the distance involved.
    Little more than a tenner a day to make a return journey of over 50 miles is pretty damn good going I think. Try doing that in a car ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you know what ?

I don't give a damn.

Nobody gave a fiddlers when Bus Eireann drivers were accused by foggy_lad of pocketing the additional express fare. I reported this scurrilous allegation but to no avail.

Nobody gives a fiddlers when he calls for CIE staff to be sacked without pension rights.

Nobody gives a fiddlers when he gets upset when a "a friend" is asked to prove identity in order to use a golden pass.
    Knock it off.

If you have a problem with a post, either counter it or report it. None of this snide 'I'm telling on you' stuff.

Reported issues actually need to be for breaches of the rules.

Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Victor wrote: »
    Knock it off.

If you have a problem with a post, either counter it or report it. None of this snide 'I'm telling on you' stuff.

Reported issues actually need to be for breaches of the rules.

Moderator.

I'd be sure that falsely accusing staff of stealing in their work place, blanket calling for the sacking of staff without evidence of any wrongdoing or making insulting comments towards staff for having the audacity to check passengers entitlement to travel on a conditional pass would breach a few of the rules.

• Advertisement

I would imagine that calling easily identifiable folk thieves would be a breach of the rules about being civil and not being "a dick".

Anyway that's my last word on the matter. Until the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

mfitzy wrote: »
    No offence but I don't think this is is overly expensive given the distance involved.
    Little more than a tenner a day to make a return journey of over 50 miles is pretty damn good going I think. Try doing that in a car ;)

Don't think OP is complaining about the value offered (as you say 65e weekly for Carlow - UCD return isn't bad) but it isn't particularly affordable given his/her circumstances. I haven't used them (and amn't associated with them) but i wonder if s/he's checked out the Carpool website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I would imagine that calling easily identifiable folk thieves would be a breach of the rules about being civil and not being "a dick".

Anyway that's my last word on the matter. Until the next time.
    I have not called "easily identifiable" folks thieves to my knowledge, But is you are sure I have you should probably report the post and it will be acted upon if that is deemed necessary.

richardjjd wrote: »
    Don't think OP is complaining about the value offered (as you say 65e weekly for Carlow - UCD return isn't bad) but it isn't particularly affordable given his/her circumstances. I haven't used them (and amn't associated with them) but i wonder if s/he's checked out the Carpool website?

Your referring to swift commute? Yeah, I set up an account but haven't had any luck. No drivers at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Unfortunately you have very limited options to reduce your costs. Essentially you need to find either a group of people car pooling or an individual willing to take you for far less than an equal share of the daily fuel costs, never mind other motoring expenses.

Carlow-UCD is approx 90km one way so 180km a day or more if indirect routes are taken to avoid traffic. Fuel cost alone for that is going to be more than e20 a day with an average car so your share of fuel alone would be around e50 a week. Factor in the probability that you would have to use public transport as well when the car pool times or days don't match and you aren't going to save much if anything over your current costs.

Advertisement