Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap ways to improve heat retention in a ground floor appartment

Options
  • 06-11-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved into a 7 year old ground floor apartment. It has gas central heating.
    Now as the weather has started to get cold I'm really noticing that the heat does not stay in the house at all. Within 90mins of the heating going off its freezing again. It does heat up quite quickly though.

Another thing I have noticed is the hot water tank doesn't keep water hot for any real length of time. The cylinder has that pre-made green hard insulation on it. The last house I lived in had oil fired heating and the same water tank. The Water would still be piping hot 12hrs after the heating was off. And luke warm for up to a day later.

The doors don't seem to fit the jams well in the apartment so is there something I can put there to seal it? The windows seem to quite draft too. So my guess would be that's where I'm losing most of the heat?

Any tips on ways to seal the doors and windows or to improve the heat retention in the house? Cheaply.. I'm only renting the house.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

try and locate where the heat is lost

Maybe its poor construction and any remedial work will be limited in its ability to solve the problem, but it may help.

Draught excluders for the external doors, keep seperate room doors closed.
    Is there carpet on the floor? if not maybe get a rug to cover the largest exposed area.
    Curtains
    does the boiler have a service sticker

See if the landlord will do some of the remedial work (pay for the above or get his/her suggestions)

how do you know its 7 years old?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Thanks for your reply.

There is carpet in the 2 bedrooms, everything else is wood floors and tiles.

I have excluders on the bottom of the doors. Is there a way of sealing the top and the sides?
    The windows are very drafty I think thats probably where most of the heats going.

We have heavy curtains on all the windows.

I know its 7 years old because the landlord said it was. Its in a new estate plenty of houses still being built there so I don't have any reason to think its older.

No service stamp on the boiler. But she said it was serviced just before we moved in.

Advertisement