Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WDTV Live + Hauppauge! USB stick = Saorview

Options
  • 06-11-2012 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up, an extra way of viewing Saorview, an unlikely combo..

If you have a WDTV Live.

wdtvlive500.jpg

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

The latest Firmware supports certain Hauppauge! USB TV dongles.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfWDTV_Live_G3

---

What's in this update? Release 1.12.14 (10/31/2012)

Supports Windows 8.
    Supports JSTV (Europe only.)
    Supports Hauppauge in select countries. WinTV tuner required. Compatible tuner listed in Knowledge Base Article 5688.
    Supports Slingbox 350 and Slingbox 500.
    Updated media library scanning performance for USB HDD.
    Resolved message “Unable to connect to the selected source” when accessing a NAS that was previously playing a video.
    Resolved issue pressing power button for more than 3 seconds breaks CEC.
    Resolved system freezes in network setup with NFS share added to the My Media Library.
    Resolved skip to desired time is not available for certain video containers.
    Resolved CinemaNow issue NAS share loses connection after standby and resume.
    Resolved BILD.de: Headlines on Start page are rendering incorrectly.
    Resolved get content info for TV shows does not include backdrop images.
    Resolved hiding Slingplayer in Parental Controls also hides Flingo Launchpad.
    Resolved Accuweather only displays the weekend forecast when language is set to English.
    Resolved playing AVI video files from PC share drops sound when played wirelessly.
    Resolved VOB video files with DTS audio will not play sound when audio is set to Stereo.
    Resolved playback issue DTS 96 Khz/24 bits audio will not play with audio settings set to "Digital Pass-Through via HDMI only".
    Resolved several translation and user interface issues.
    Resolved no audio output if MPG video contains PCM audio codec.
    Resolved missing Repeat One icon in UI in music and video options menu.
    Resolved theme issue video_run.xml replaced by video_run_buf.xml.

The List of compatible devices is listed here:

(scroll down to Live TV Adapters)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/~/list-of-compatible-devices-for-the-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-and-wd-tv-live#live

---

I have a Hauppauge! Nova-T (http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_novatstick.html) in use on the main PC, I just brought it downstairs and plugged it into the WDTV Live and started up the Hauppauge! app. (Home screen now has a 'Live TV' tab)

Scanning took about 5 minutes. Reception was perfect, using the supplied dongle aerial, situated in the South County Dublin\Dún Laoghaire area.

---

The app will record to any USB media you have plugged in and selected.

Files are stored in: (Drive Letter):\Hauppauge

File format is: .ts

Typical file name structure:

WinTV__RT_One_20121106-051841.ts

WinTV__RT_News_Now_20121106-052539.ts

Recordings are openly accessible from USB media, when plugged into a USB port on a PC.

---

Reception was perfect on a mid 90s SD Philips CRT (Stereo) TV. No issues with RTE2.

The downside..? Channel changing is slow, up to five seconds.

I have not had the full hang of the WDTV controller, there might be MHEG functionality 'somewhere', it's hard to navigate without any instructions. The channel surfing fascia has times, next feature and 'proper' station logos.

The radio stations are included, but I've not accessed them yet.

Pleasantly surprised. I've had the Nova-T a good while, it's not a new model by any means.

This update makes the WDTV Live quite a flexible device.

Anyway, just another (unlikely) option for accessing the Irish digital channels.

Advertisement