Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts joint honours

Options
  • 06-11-2012 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I would love to do a psychology degree but know I wont get the points so i was thinking of doing it through arts.
    Some people have discussed transfering in to the pure psychology degree from the arts but I would prefer to continue doing psychology and another subject in my arts degree. Is this recognised by the PSI? and i would not like to depend on this option in case i do not qualify for it (getting 60/70% in first year).
    also i would like to know are there any restrictions in getting into second arts psychology?
    and as well what is the difference in this arts degree and arts in maynooth and galway, like what exactly does joint honours mean?
    any information or input would be greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

hey, as far as I kno there are no restrictions going into 2nd year and there is a 1 year conversion course that you can do after 4th year to give you the full degree in psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

edelg wrote: »
    I would love to do a psychology degree but know I wont get the points so i was thinking of doing it through arts.
    Some people have discussed transfering in to the pure psychology degree from the arts but I would prefer to continue doing psychology and another subject in my arts degree. Is this recognised by the PSI? and i would not like to depend on this option in case i do not qualify for it (getting 60/70% in first year).
    also i would like to know are there any restrictions in getting into second arts psychology?
    and as well what is the difference in this arts degree and arts in maynooth and galway, like what exactly does joint honours mean?
    any information or input would be greatly appreciated.:)

Joint Honours basically means you do a 50/50 split between two disciplines, so after you narrow down from four to two modules streams after first year, your specific degree title reflects this. For example, I graduated this year with Arts Joint Honours w/Criminal Justice w/New Media and Cultural Studies, while someone else would have it called whatever reflects their choices. As regards course afterwards, I'm doing a Law Masters Human Rights in Criminal Justice, with the prerequisite being having done either a pure law degree, or in my case, a degree with at least 50% law (BAJH's FYP is equivalent to two modules, which would make it even more). I'd imagine postgrad requisites are similar for other disciplines such as psychology, but keep in mind that while you will be sharing your modules of a discipline with "pure" course students, you naturally won't be covering every module someone in a pure course will do in your BAJH (for me, there was no property or commercial law module in BAJH's law stream, which would require catching up to others from a pure-law in postgrad).

Advertisement