Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starter motor problem. Can I get a bit of quick advice please?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all,

2005 A4, 110k miles. Three times over the past few weeks, when starting the car, I got an initial grinding sound (like what you hear if you try to start an already running engine) before getting ignition on the second attempt.

But then this morning, and all day, it went was happening every time I start.

Grinding noise on first key turn, then starts fine.

Is this is some kind of starter problem, and what's the general solution? Any idea of cost and optimum solution before I take to a garage?

Do you think I'll be able to run the car for the rest of this week? I have to go to funeral later in the week so I can't get the car done now (apart from money).

Am I correct that electric motors can be rewound, and could that apply in this case, and if so, is it an option? Or any other ideas? I'm like everyone else, really broke.

Thanks for any help, I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

That's the VAG starter grind alright. Remove the starting motor, clean the bendix gear with brake or carb cleaner, should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

Thanks very much. Will I be able to get a week out of it if I can?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

DonalB wrote: »
    Thanks very much. Will I be able to get a week out of it if I can?

Mine has been like that for about a year now. It's on my 'to do' list.

Appreciate the replies!

If it's happening every time you start I'd get it sorted soon, mine (Golf) is only when cold. Here's the fix (MkIV Golf, but same issue and solution).

http://fendubbers.forummotion.com/t7528-cleaning-mk4-sticky-noisy-starter

• Advertisement

Well today was cold, so maybe that's the cause of the sudden change. Thanks again!

Hoping to get this done early next week, and only 3 days after it started, this morning the car wouldn't start. The sound has changed and could only be described as a electrical whine. It's quite warm to day also.

Because I'm leaving for a funeral tomorrow evening I'm kind of screwed in terms of figuring out anything, so just looking for some advice on whether you think this non-starting is just an escalation of the original VAG starter motor problem, and if the same cleaning procedure will be all that's required?

Thanks again.

You may have broken teeth on your flywheel. Hence the starter whirring.

That sounds bad. By which I mean expensive? (Sick feeling in stomach)

You may have broken teeth on your flywheel. Hence the starter whirring.

Or starter...

It does sound a bit more serious than the common lazy starter issue that a lot of VAg cars suffer with. :(

• Advertisement

You could try to give it a nudge in gear to move the flywheel to a different position, then try to start it. If it starts then you'll know its the flywheel.

Thanks guys.

Ok, it's sitting on gravel, but I put it in reverse and moved it back about a half a foot, and still the same whine. Does this meant it's more likely still starter than flywheel?

It sounds to me that the "Bendix" drive mechanism is either broke or dirty. By the way are you sure you have a good battery.

Yep, battery is good. If I try and push start it later when I can get the neighbour to help and it does start, will that help determine if it's starter?

DonalB wrote: »
    Yep, battery is good. If I try and push start it later when I can get the neighbour to help and it does start, will that help determine if it's starter?

No, you could push start it with no starter motor fitted.

Ha! I'm an eejit. I won't do any damage so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

You don't want to damage the flywheel. Only pushstart the car until it's sorted. Try to park facing down a hill in a safe area. not on gravel either. Push starting wont do any damage but it can be a bit dodgy as you'll have no power steering or brakes until the engine starts.

Advertisement